Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2015 11:37:39 PM EDT
I recently acquired a pretty beat up Pietta 1851 Navy in .36 caliber.  The revolver is brass framed and has a round barrel.  I am having trouble finding the right sized caps for the nipples.  #10 are way too small, and #11's are still too small.  Obviously I need larger caps but on all the forums I have read people talk about using smaller #10 and #11 caps on their 1851 Pietta's.  This pistol is well used and I do not know the history behind it.  Is it possible that the previous owner installed larger nipples?  Or did they come factory with larger ones?  Any input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone has been dry firing it and has "mushroomed" the nipples. You can probably remove the nipples and dress them back to spec with file.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone has been dry firing it and has "mushroomed" the nipples. You can probably remove the nipples and dress them back to spec with file.
View Quote

I suspected this may be the case.  I have already ordered a new set of #11 nipples from midway.  I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Let us know how it works - got stainless steal backups incase i need em for my uberti from track of the wolf.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Let us know how it works - got stainless steal backups incase i need em for my uberti from track of the wolf.
View Quote

My .44 1851 (I know, it never really existed) had the same problem. A guy at the range saw a few of us shooting our cap and ball revolvers and he thought it looked like fun instead of going through 300+ rounds of 9mm in a session like he usually does. He went to Cabela's and bought the 1851, 2 pounds of 777, 500 caps, Bore Butter, capper, 200 round balls and the full "Starter Kit" and asked me to meet him at the range so he could learn how to load it.

Unfortunately he spent too much time at home dry firing and ruined the nipples. I think we got three chambers to fire. He was frustrated and said that BP wasn't for him. He sold me everything for $150. I told him to just buy a set of nipples and I'd install them but he didn't want anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input, I have a set on order.  Do you find that #11's fit best on a stock pietta?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input, I have a set on order.  Do you find that #11's fit best on a stock pietta?
View Quote

Yes, #11 caps work well. I usually slightly pinch them when I put them on to ensure they do not fall off before firing. I've tried #10's but they are so small for Piettas that they sometimes don't even fire the first hammer hit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Track of the Wolf sells their own in house nipples that are made for 11s.  If you want the best, Slix-Shot at $36 a set, are made for 10s.  Problem is, 10s and 11s are different sized among CCI and Remington......and then there are the German ones (RWS)  that are 1075s..

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The #11 nipples from traditions came today.  CCI #11 caps are a little loose but they work.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Just pinch them when you put them on. That's how I've always loaded mine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#10]
CCI caps run a little snugger than Remington.  You can fine-tune your fit by peening the caps so they mushroom just a bit, then sanding until you get that perfect fit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
CCI caps run a little snugger than Remington.  You can fine-tune your fit by peening the caps so they mushroom just a bit, then sanding until you get that perfect fit.
View Quote

I know what you meant, but don't peen the caps- peen the nipples!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just pinch them when you put them on. That's how I've always loaded mine.
View Quote

Works if they are only a wee bit loose.
Recoil will un-seat them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top