Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 1:35:05 PM EDT

The smoked Buffler is way too heavy for such a project but it should last me!  Hand saddle stitched the bag itself and the pocket inside, but used a heavy duty machine to attach the flap and strap attachment pieces. Have a pair of brass rings coming to attach the strap to, and will use a piece of antler to hold the flap closed. Hope to be hunting with it this weekend!!!

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Inside pocket

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
How big is it?  Do you offer these for sale or could you make one for me?  I need a good hand made possibles bag for my Revolution/1812 reenacting.  I like the inside pocket, looks like it could hold a couple extra Flints and a vent pick/brush.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Pity you had to use a sewing machine for part of the assembly.

Did you not have access to a saddlers sewing awl ?

Keep us updated on how it pans out once you have the rings & the antler
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How big is it?  Do you offer these for sale or could you make one for me?  I need a good hand made possibles bag for my Revolution/1812 reenacting.  I like the inside pocket, looks like it could hold a couple extra Flints and a vent pick/brush.
View Quote

I'd guess this one is 9" wide?  This is my first one ever, doubt I'd make them for sale!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really wanted to not use a machine, but the material is really thick.

I have a sewing awl, but wanted to use the saddle stitch for durability. 2 needles, 2 lengths of thread!  

I'll update when complete!  Now I need to get off my butt and start building my flinter!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a sewing awl, but wanted to use the saddle stitch for durability. 2 needles, 2 lengths of thread!  

I'll update when complete!  Now I need to get off my butt and start building my flinter!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saddle stitch the needles and TWO lengths of thread? A saddle stitch is one length of thread with a needle on each end.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a plain diamond point awl.  Poke 5-10 holes and stitch away.  I usually use veg tanned cowhide for my projects (not enough of them) and have to resort to pliers to pull the needles through.  Goes pretty quick though.

What leather is that?  My bag is 8oz veg tanned cowhide w/ a 2" brain tanned gusset.  I don't have a button or anything--the powder horn holds it closed.

An couple tight loops inside would be nice for tools.  All my tools are in a smaller ditty inside.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a crossdraw holster I made for my Uberti 1860 RM Conversion. I copied the basic style from the El Paso Saddlry holster I use for my 1872 Colt Open Top. My work is nowhere near the quality of the EPS holster, but it's a start.

Here's a close up of the saddle stitch. I do everything by hand right now but I was given an old leather sewing machine from a leather/sheepskin dealer I know.

I use vegetable tanned leather for everything, too. Using chemically tanned leather is a quick way to turn anything metal into a ball of rust.

Here's a knife sheath I made using deer hide as lacing. Every time I do a project I see something I'd do differently if I did it again. On this sheath I wish I turned the back half inside out so it had a finished look near the handle. Live and learn. It was my first sheath so I'll do better next time.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, mine has 2 lengths of thread.  Short back stitch at each end to start and finish.

Nice work on your gear!!

Quoted:

Saddle stitch the needles and TWO lengths of thread? A saddle stitch is one length of thread with a needle on each end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use a plain diamond point awl.  Poke 5-10 holes and stitch away.  I usually use veg tanned cowhide for my projects (not enough of them) and have to resort to pliers to pull the needles through.  Goes pretty quick though.

What leather is that?  My bag is 8oz veg tanned cowhide w/ a 2" brain tanned gusset.  I don't have a button or anything--the powder horn holds it closed.

An couple tight loops inside would be nice for tools.  All my tools are in a smaller ditty inside.

View Quote

This is fake brain tanned, smoked bison. Really thick up on the back/shoulders.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, mine has 2 lengths of thread.  Short back stitch at each end to start and finish.

Nice work on your gear!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice work on your gear!!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not understanding what stitch you use, but I would like to see it. I'm always trying to learn more since I just started doing leather work. The holster pictured is only my third holster. I'd change a few things on it if I was to make it again, but live and learn. The first holster I made left a little to be desired. Well, that's an understatement, it was pretty much a disaster. my second was a pocket holster I fitted perfectly for the back pocket of a pair of Wrangler jeans to fit a Colt Junior .25acp.

I did a quick search on Youtube for "Saddle Stitch" and this is the first video that popped up. I'm on my daughter's computer right now and the speakers don't work, so all I know is the video seems good quality. I don't know about the tutorial. Here is a true Saddle Stitch: YouTube Saddle Stitch Video I'll have to check this video out later when I have more time, and speakers. The way his punched holes are angled looks interesting. I might have to try that on a future project.

Post pics of your completed bag. A friend and I have decided to get back into CAS after a 20+/- year break, and we are making all new gear for ourselves. Hopefully it turns out OK.                                                                                                                    
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I used exactly that same stitch he used, but didn't use slanted holes like him. And, I tied a knot in the end of both pieces of thread at the start. 2 needles, 2 pieces of thread. Used a 3 prong lace punch to lay out the seam. Had to punch both pieces of leather due to thickness.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The pics must not be doing credit to the material.  Looks supple and light.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#14]
It is quite supple, but in places over 1/4"  thick. Should last quite well. Going to attach a patch knife sheath to the strap, and do some bead work on it, eventually.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#15]
where do you get your leather from?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Leather Unlimited is where I got this piece.

http://www.leatherunltd.com/leather/specialty/specialty.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Made progress today.  Got the brass rings in and installed. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the strap cut to length and sewn on. Have a nice trade knife that will be in a sheath on the strap.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The strap is done!

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking good

and thanks for the link
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
All done except for hanging a powder horn on it!!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Wish I could say I made the trade knife but I didnt.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The horns I'll use with it.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Very nice!  Looks like a nice size too.

Post pics after a few months of use when it's covered in soot, patch grease, and animal blood.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Will hunt with it this weekend, hope to make some meat!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Put a strap on the powder horn today!!  

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Not to be a peckerwood but I think you're going to find the patch knife on the flap annoying immediately.  You will most often see them on the back, on the front strap, and sometimes on the side.

Also, for anybody who wants to make their own shot pouch, here is a great starting point: http://www.amazon.com/Recreating-18th-Century-Hunting-Pouch/dp/0976579715
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I've carried it on 3 hunts so far, 2 of which had me wading thru brush to get to where I wanted to set up. Knife is not a problem!  I planned on attaching it to the strap originally, but it ended up on the flap!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top