Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2014 10:45:57 PM EDT
thinking about buying one of these to kill two birds with one stone:

there is a PA Bucktail Brigade reenactor unit that I'm somewhat interested in joining

also for use as a black powder hunting rifle

who here has a '53 Enfield?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an older Euroarms 3 bander. Use it for Reenacting and have shot live with it as well. Actually shot it some yesterday with PRB since I was out of lubed Minie balls. Rang steel 4 shots in a row at 100 yds!!

I'm a Pedersoli fan, I would imagine their Enfield is as good a replica as you can buy these days!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a poor phone video from yesterday  

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/fireman_3311/media/guns/B0EDA274-3E59-46A6-8B84-3CABB303C130_zpslp6suz5t.mp4.html
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Took it out this afternoon for our last day of antler less deer season. None seen though!

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Parker - Hale '53.  I've read that the current make Pedersoli is a far better reproduction of the true '53.  Get and post up pics!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it have adjustable sight?

My 1863 Remington Zouave does not have adjustable sight.  Since I have lathe and a milling machine, I made front and rear sight that are adjustable for windage and windage/elevation.  These are non altering sights.  So I can always go back to original three leaf sight.

If it does not have adjustable sight, you will have to shoot it and find extra rear sight blade and file it as you shoot for group.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it have adjustable sight?

My 1863 Remington Zouave does not have adjustable sight.  Since I have lathe and a milling machine, I made front and rear sight that are adjustable for windage and windage/elevation.  These are non altering sights.  So I can always go back to original three leaf sight.

If it does not have adjustable sight, you will have to shoot it and find extra rear sight blade and file it as you shoot for group.
View Quote

The 1853 Enfield has a ladder and ramp adjustable rear sight. Not like the Springfield's multiple rear sight leaves (themselves apparently an inspiration for "express" sights--or at least the latter are in a similar vein). However IIRC it's only adjustable for elevation, and its accuracy depends on the shooter using the correct load.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

there is a PA Bucktail Brigade reenactor unit that I'm somewhat interested in joining

View Quote

I'm a reenactor and a live fire shooter with a '53.  

They are good guns.  Mine is an older Armi-Sport.  The ones available new today are either East India Co or Pedersoli.  There is a obvious quality difference as well as about twice the cost in the Pedersoli. I recently purchased a East India Co Charleville musket, and while it works fine it looks like a ghurka put it together.  It is definitely lacking in the fit and finish department (I'm working on it now).  I recommend the Pedersoli as it is far and away a better piece.  Still, a Pedersoli will require some defarbing before reenactor use.  I can elaborate on that via PM if you want.

The P1853 Enfield is correct for both Fed and Confed Infantry as they were sent to both sides.  This is why they are popular with reenactors.  Feds are also commonly armed with '61 Springfields and '42 Harper's/Springfields(.69 cal.).  I do both Fed Infantry and Confed Infantry as well as Confed Marine and Artillery. Reenacting is fun and I plan on continuing until I just can't anymore and am looking to expand into Revolution and 1812.  Hope you find a good unit and enjoy it.

As far as shooting, it takes a lot of T&E to find the exact load the gun likes.  My gun likes certain powder and certain caps paired with a particular cast bullet.  What my gun likes yours may not.  Have patience and be willing to try several loads.  Once you find one stick with it for the life of the gun.  Hope this helps.

Pron:

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are good guns.  Mine is an older Armi-Sport.  The ones available new today are either East India Co or Pedersoli.  There is a obvious quality difference as well as about twice the cost in the Pedersoli. I recently purchased a East India Co Charleville musket, and while it works fine it looks like a ghurka put it together.  It is definitely lacking in the fit and finish department (I'm working on it now).  I recommend the Pedersoli as it is far and away a better piece.  Still, a Pedersoli will require some defarbing before reenactor use.  I can elaborate on that via PM if you want.

The P1853 Enfield is correct for both Fed and Confed Infantry as they were sent to both sides.  This is why they are popular with reenactors.  Feds are also commonly armed with '61 Springfields and '42 Harper's/Springfields(.69 cal.).  I do both Fed Infantry and Confed Infantry as well as Confed Marine and Artillery. Reenacting is fun and I plan on continuing until I just can't anymore and am looking to expand into Revolution and 1812.  Hope you find a good unit and enjoy it.

As far as shooting, it takes a lot of T&E to find the exact load the gun likes.  My gun likes certain powder and certain caps paired with a particular cast bullet.  What my gun likes yours may not.  Have patience and be willing to try several loads.  Once you find one stick with it for the life of the gun.  Hope this helps.

Pron:

<a href="http://s258.photobucket.com/user/mech4matsnova/media/20140620_180414_zpse68d620a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/mech4matsnova/20140620_180414_zpse68d620a.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pron:

<a href="http://s258.photobucket.com/user/mech4matsnova/media/20140620_180414_zpse68d620a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/mech4matsnova/20140620_180414_zpse68d620a.jpg</a>

PM sent, just out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
i was a 33rd Virginia reanacter  for some years . my issue weapon was a  1853 enfield 3 band . i loved mine . did live fire as well . wow loved the kick and accuracy . in my opinon it was a far better weapon then the springfield . i got where i could rip off 4 shots a min . even loading on the run . long story short you will love ur enfield .

dagg . . . .
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hoping to kill a deer with mine this weekend!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Parker Hale Enfields (3 band, 2 band and musketoon). Darn good shooting guns.  I use the Parker Hale minie ball moulds and 65 grains FF.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one.. very nice rifle.

2 Band Pedersoli

I love mine. They are arguably the best currently made reproductions out there.

I have a time capsule Parker Hale musketoon circa 1970s brand new in the box on its way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top