Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 10:19:34 AM EDT
First informal match held by the club.

A few no-shows so only three of us met at Prator Range today and one fellow suggested we shoot for a prize. Uh on, money involved. No bueno for this cheapskate. He goes on to suggest a quarter a round. Best shot is the winner at each round. OK, that can be affordable.

It's not a very even match. Dan C. has a .32 caliber Traditions squirrel rifle that is small and handy. I have a Hatfield .50 caliber with a 40" long straight bbl (no swamp) and Bill H. has a custom made .54 caliber rifle that looks like a fowler (nice, big flat buttplate and because it's round barrel that's bored out to .54, it's easily lighter than Dan's Tradition. No matter, it's all for fun anyway. Target was placed at 80 yards distance (I spent over an hour on load development and sighting in).

We fire one shot apiece off hand. I win one, Dan C. wins one and Bill H. wins the third one. That's pretty sad as none of us old guys are consistent. I figure Bill's best advantage is that his rifle has its rear sight all the way forward - great for older eyes that need reading glasses. Neither Dan C's Tradition nor my Hatfield are that way and they're for younger folks who can see. Bill H. suggests we shoot from the bench (no resting but on both elbows) and we agree. I figure that with his better sight arrangements, he had a great advantage over us. So, I said, winner has to become the president. Dan C. agrees and majority rules.

We fire two shots and I actually won! So, Bill H. and Dan C. both owe me fifty cents which they fork up without complaining. I immediately hand the four quarters over to Dan C., telling him as the acting president I appoint him as acting treasurer and that he has charge of the club's vast supply of money (one dollar). Now we have funds for our shooting activity.

In a few month's time we're going up near Cokedale onto Bill H.'s land to do a trailwalk. It will include hawk 'n knife.

Had to do some shopping after the shoot and got home by 4 p.m. That gave me an hour of daylight to scrub out the barrel with hot soapy water and clean the lock. I was too lazy to disassemble the lock to thoroughly clean it.

BTW, unlike a normal smokepole, the Hatfield doesn't use pins or wedges to secure the barrel to the stock.  Instead you remove the ramrod and this exposes the screws that hold the thimbles/pipes on the barrel.  By removing those two screws and the tang screw, the  barrel may be removed from the stock.  The lock is held in by one screw (non-supported by an inlaid escutcheon) or a sideplate which when removed allows the lock to be lifted out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
take a pic of that hatfield.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like lots of fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top