Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2014 11:04:36 PM EDT
I've been looking for a military flintlock to keep my 1853 Enfield (ArmiSport) company and came across this at Track of the Wolf:
Track Of The Wolf

I thought it was a great deal so I ordered one.  Does anyone have a copy of this classic Revolution era long gun?  What should I expect?  Any tips for a Percussion guy's first venture into flint?  I will update when it comes in and the first range trip.  Thanks for the help.

ETA: Corrected Manufacturer
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#1]
They are good guns, just not the most ergonomic.  They could use about 8-10 inches lopped off to make them balance better.  That is why the besses have always been more popular outside of reenactment goups that require a french styled gun

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats not a Pedersoli........

Make sure your frizzen is properly hardened....otherwise it'll get chewed up and never throw a good spark.....
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats not a Pedersoli........

Make sure your frizzen is properly hardened....otherwise it'll get chewed up and never throw a good spark.....
View Quote

You are quite correct, that is an India made gun.....

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Neither the 1777 charleville nor the East india (3rd pattern) brown bess are correct for the american revolution. The 1777 may have saw a bit of service with the french Canadians, but it was never sold to the US. Both are more appropriate for the Napoleonic wars or in the brown bess's case the war of 1812

Any Charleville between 1763-68 or a 2nd pattern brown bess would be period correct for the US revolution.

Ironically i own both guns im telling you not to get.

I got both from veteran arms

They are both made in india, but they've gone bang every time (assuming i do my part and keep the flint sharp)
I cant compare them to more expensive italian guns as far as fit and finish, to tell you which one is nicer, but i didnt want to spend $1300 as a newb to black powder and flintlocks.
The biggest problem ive found with both my guns is that the ramrods will get stuck in the stock if its raining, or when i clean them out with water at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, it came in today.  I unboxed it, did a quick inspection and function check, degreased it, then did a final inspection and function check.

My initial impressions:

It is much lighter than I expected(as compared to my ArmiSport '53 Enfield) but is lacking in the fit and finish department.  the trigger sits almost all the way forward inside the trigger guard(but I think that can be adjusted), the front lock plate crossbolt is notched in the center to clear the ramrod(WTF is this?), the bayonet will require moderate fitting to fit to my liking, and the stock is a bit too short for me but should fit my wife well.  Also, I noticed that the hammer doesn't exactly line up with the frizzen.  

I plan on sending the lock to a smith for frizzen hardening and a general smoothing out.  Can anyone suggest a Flintlock Gunsmith to handle some of these issues for me?  The flash hole hasn't been drilled yet either, where exactly does it need to go?  I know it needs to be 1/8" and at the bottom of the pan, but should it be centered in the pan or slightly forward of center?

Sorry, no pictures yet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Here you go:  http://flintlockrepair.com/
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]
A few quick cell pics:

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
ouststanding...

post video's of you shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Flash hole should be .060 to .070 and centered just below the bottom of the frizzen when it's closed over the flash pan.
Enough to create a seal with the frizzen closed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Flash hole should be .060 to .070 and centered just below the bottom of the frizzen when it's closed over the flash pan.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing.  The manufacturer suggested a 1/16" hole in the center of the pan below the "rim".  I went with that and test fired with 4 blank 90g FF charges(reenactor loads).  Holy shit this is fun.  Can't wait to try some live loads!

What I learned today:

Flintlocks don't like 18kt winds gusting to 25.  I also have a new respect for the hardasses who carried these things into battle.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing.  The manufacturer suggested a 1/16" hole in the center of the pan below the "rim".  I went with that and test fired with 4 blank 90g FF charges(reenactor loads).  Holy shit this is fun.  Can't wait to try some live loads!

What I learned today:

Flintlocks don't like 18kt winds gusting to 25.  I also have a new respect for the hardasses who carried these things into battle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I learned today:

They are fun. And yes 1/16" would be good to start. 1/16"=.062
Enjoy,post more pics!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Now with wife vid:

Sorry about the rotation, don't know how to fix it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Now with wife vid:

http://youtu.be/BE7xbw5sKCI
View Quote

Video is sideways potato-fucked.  Now my head is ouch.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now with wife vid:

View Quote

Seemed like a bit of a slow burn. If it's not the powder itself try putting less powder in the pan.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seemed like a bit of a slow burn. If it's not the powder itself try putting less powder in the pan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now with wife vid:

I've been thinking about that.  How much do you need in the pan?  I put a little extra in that one to see what it would do(that's another reason she has my glasses on).
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've been thinking about that.  How much do you need in the pan?  I put a little extra in that one to see what it would do(that's another reason she has my glasses on).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now with wife vid:

I'm not sure exactly what the measure is, as I just load from paper cartridges. But I tend to fill it up evenly about half to 2/3 of the pan. The important thing though is to not bury the touch hole. If the flames can flow right in and not have to burn their way through main charge ignition will happen much quicker.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not sure exactly what the measure is, as I just load from paper cartridges. But I tend to fill it up evenly about half to 2/3 of the pan. The important thing though is to not bury the touch hole. If the flames can flow right in and not have to burn their way through main charge ignition will happen much quicker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now with wife vid:

I'll try less powder next time.  I had the flash hole buried in that shot.  I'm not really sure about that powder either, I had some problems with it not wanting to ignite in my Enfield last month.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll try less powder next time.  I had the flash hole buried in that shot.  I'm not really sure about that powder either, I had some problems with it not wanting to ignite in my Enfield last month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now with wife vid:

are you using genuine 2F black powder or a 2F black powder substitute?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Triple 7 2F

I'm kinda limited in my choices because that's all anyone stocks around here.  I want to try some quality powder.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Triple 7 2F

I'm kinda limited in my choices because that's all anyone stocks around here.  I want to try some quality powder.
View Quote

I had that same problem, try asking on your hometown forum for anyone that does or may carry actual BP. Narrow down some choices and just give them a call.

If you can't find some locally, you can order online, although it comes with a steep hazard charge. If you end up having to go that route, I suggest ordering in bulk. At least 4 or 5 containers just to make it worth while. It does go pretty quick with charges of 90gr plus the powder to prime. Between my Charleville at 90 and brown Brown Bess at 100gr I've gotten about 75 shots per container.

The substitute might work alright in cap guns because it's just a more positive ignition. The cap is directed and contained straight to the charge.
Not so much with flintlocks. BP substitute is not as sensitive or explosive as regular BP, (thats why places stock substitue and leave it out in the open, real BP requires special storage) so it's harder for the Sparks off the frizzen to get positive ignition.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had that same problem, try asking on your hometown forum for anyone that does or may carry actual BP. Narrow down some choices and just give them a call.

If you can't find some locally, you can order online, although it comes with a steep hazard charge. If you end up having to go that route, I suggest ordering in bulk. At least 4 or 5 containers just to make it worth while. It does go pretty quick with charges of 90gr plus the powder to prime. Between my Charleville at 90 and brown Brown Bess at 100gr I've gotten about 75 shots per container.

The substitute might work alright in cap guns because it's just a more positive ignition. The cap is directed and contained straight to the charge.
Not so much with flintlocks. BP substitute is not as sensitive or explosive as regular BP, (thats why places stock substitue and leave it out in the open, real BP requires special storage) so it's harder for the Sparks off the frizzen to get positive ignition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Triple 7 2F

Yup......I'd recommend Swiss 2F behind the ball, and 4F in the pan.....As much as I love 777 (in BP cartridge guns), the real deal is much more entertaining......It's the flintlock musket experience you're looking for.......
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent video . I will be using some of those techniques
My 1816 Springfield along with a Harpers Ferry and the Charleville
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup......I'd recommend Swiss 2F behind the ball, and 4F in the pan.....As much as I love 777 (in BP cartridge guns), the real deal is much more entertaining......It's the flintlock musket experience you're looking for.......
http://youtu.be/wYu03XUbAyY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Triple 7 2F

Mike B (guy in the vid) is awesome.  Check out his other vids.  He is a hell of a shot, too!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mike B (guy in the vid) is awesome.  Check out his other vids.  He is a hell of a shot, too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Triple 7 2F

Subscribed to Duelist1954 long ago......some of the best BP and frontier firearms vids on youtube.....
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Subscribed to Duelist1954 long ago......some of the best BP and frontier firearms vids on youtube.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Triple 7 2F

I wish I could be that accurate with either of my muskets. My first shot as a noob I shot one handed cuz I was afraid it would blow up.
My second shot was at a standard notebook size peice of paper six feet away (seriously it was in bayonet poking range) and I missed.
My offhand is seriously crappy with muskets. Although Supported I can reliably hit a man sized target at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I can hit just fine with my percussion Enfield ( ArmiSport 1853) but have never live fired a flintlock offhand.   I'm not afraid of it but am conscious of the ignition delay in flint.  I think my powder sucks and am searching for a local source of real BP.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wish I could be that accurate with either of my muskets. My first shot as a noob I shot one handed cuz I was afraid it would blow up.
My second shot was at a standard notebook size peice of paper six feet away (seriously it was in bayonet poking range) and I missed.
My offhand is seriously crappy with muskets. Although Supported I can reliably hit a man sized target at 50 yards.
View Quote

An average day of shooting my 54 cal flintlongrifle

Probably my best shooting ever

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I have found that just about all of my BP rifles, Caplock and Inline are phenomenally accurate. you just have to tweak them and find " their load".
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have found that just about all of my BP rifles, Caplock and Inline are phenomenally accurate. you just have to tweak them and find " their load".
View Quote

Rifles yes, this thread is about smoothbore muskets though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now with wife vid:

View Quote

Mis-fire, Loved the look of disappointment.
Second shot, did she think the 'flash in the pan' was the shot?
Then, 'BOOM!"
Priceless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top