Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:29:06 PM EDT
I switched the number 11 cap breach plug on my Knight 54 cal muzzy with a 209 breach plug and bolt. I have a bunch of CCI 209 mag primers that I sighted in the muzzy with but now I am getting powder blow back from the primer as well as the inside of the primer cup is pushing back. Looks like over pressure, should I back of and use standard primers or I have heard of guys drilling out the breach plug hole a little bigger. My load is 100 grains of pyrodex under a 300 grain .45 cal lead slug in a sabot.

Do you think switching to another primer will effect my POI all that much? I have a hunt coming up and no time to sight in the muzzy?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I switched the number 11 cap breach plug on my Knight 54 cal muzzy with a 209 breach plug and bolt. I have a bunch of CCI 209 mag primers that I sighted in the muzzy with but now I am getting powder blow back from the primer as well as the inside of the primer cup is pushing back. Looks like over pressure, should I back of and use standard primers or I have heard of guys drilling out the breach plug hole a little bigger. My load is 100 grains of pyrodex under a 300 grain .45 cal lead slug in a sabot.

Do you think switching to another primer will effect my POI all that much? I have a hunt coming up and no time to sight in the muzzy?
View Quote

use the Winchester 777 muzzleloader or a standard CCI 209 primers. mag primers are too much.

some companies have stated that standard 209's will actually cause a slight hesitation of firing due to the fact they initial firing of the primer blows the powder charge further into the barrel before ignition. I have not encountered that with any of my inlines.

I use standard CCI 209 and have 4 packs of the Winchester 777 primers in my shooting box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top