Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 10:11:31 AM EDT
Just purchased a Lyman great plains flintlock kit to build.  It looked like the best kit available for the money.  Im wanting to do it so it looks some what authentic.  I plan on browning the barrel instead of bluing.  Any suggestions on how to finish the stock.  Anyone know of where I can read upnon this information or a book that I can buy.   Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
go to dixie gunworks online and order their catalog. they are the definitive source for tools, supplies, browning/bluing solutions, wood treatments etc. I built the great plains percussion gun back in the 80's and it is a terrific rifle. The 1-66 barrel pretty much limits you to roundball, but it will kill a deer, and turkey easily. You can buy the same gun (or the barrell alone) with a 1-48 twist iirc that will allow you to shoot saboted slugs or the maxi and mini ball loads which are very accurate and deadly as well.

I used a 50-50 mix of tung oil and boiled linseed oil on mine. Put the stock in a cradle, dab on some of the mix, then use some burlap coffee sack and "shoeshine" the wood till it heats up hot to the touch. Repeat till you have about 10 coats on all of the stock. It is work, but well worth the result.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
WARNING.  The sharply curved crescent butt plate is not for everyone.  You may know that curved butt plates go on the arm rather than on the shoulder as do flat plates.  I was OK with the crescent plates on Thompson Centers though I liked the flat ones better.  On the Great Plains I could find no position where the top point did not go into me like a knife.  My arms were just too big for it.  Had to cut it flat.  It's fine for many people but not everyone.  Recommend you check for this carefully before the build.

Good thing too it was done, as mine is more accurate with heavy charges.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.  Will definitely use dixie gun works in the future.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  Will definitely use dixie gun works in the future.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the common practice when it comes to the bore.  Should I brown the bore just the same as the rest of the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Track of the Wolf is a great place for such info and items. I bought all I needed from them for my LGPR kit!!  Now I just need time to work on it!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Jim Chambers' kits.  Best there is (IMO).
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
As far as the metal on the rifle goes it is pretty rough.  I was planning on sanding and polishing everything up making it smooth.  From there how should it be finished.  Should it be browned like the barrel is going to be finished.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're after a period correct look, yes, brown the barrel and all steel parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the common practice when it comes to the bore.  Should I brown the bore just the same as the rest of the barrel?
View Quote

Do not brown the bore.  It will be hard to stop the process in the bore and it would likely make it harder to properly clean as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok. Just leave the bore white then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top