Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 11:23:54 AM EDT
Just got my first black powder pistol (Pietta 1858 Remington). I know almost nothing about them other than I can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

Tell me what I need and what I need to know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the obsession.

The simple list of things you need; balls, powder, caps.
That will make it work.  

There are myriad things that make it work better; grease, bore butter, powder measure, #12 solvent, cleaning brushes (lots of cleaning brushes )

ETA: .454 balls, Goex FFF, #10 caps.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
This link is to a good thread started by Gatofeo (ugly cat) http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=65820
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
So far I got Triple 7 FFF, #11 caps (will order #10's as thats what most suggest), wonder wads, and a few hundred .454 balls on order. I also have two powder flask but not sure what charge they dump. Any advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Good choice of the 'wonder wads', FAR less mess than crisco or grease.
If you can find REAL black powder, buy it.
More smoke and more of a concussive 'whoomphh' sound\feeling.
Do you know the cleaning procedure?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope. I know nothing about cleaning these things.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Hot Soapy water, good scrubbing, let dry, good oiling. (condensed version)
Real black powder is somewhat corrosive, substitutes not as bad, still would always clean it.
ETA, on my Colts I pull out barrel retaining wedge and disassemble completely.
After cleaning it I put all the parts in an old, SS pot and bring water to a little below boiling.

After removal  the heat allows it to 'self dry', ensuring no rust in hidden areas.
"HAVE FUN" and update us.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Will do. Thanks y'all. Caps and balls should be here next week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Search the internet for two of my posts:

"Proper Use of a Cap and Ball Revolver"
and
"So You Want a Cap and Ball Revolver?'

Both by me, Gatofeo.
I've been shooting cap and ball revolvers since about 1970. These two posts contain much of what I have learned over the decades. I've been posting them on the internet, in various message boards, since about 1999. Look for one posted within the past 10 years for more modern info.

But for the gist:
.454 balls
Black powder is more accurate than black powder replica powders, but real black powder can be difficult to find. I'd suggest you use Pyrodex P.
Remington percussion caps are preferred, but CCI will work fine.
No way of knowing whether your revolver's nipples will take No. 10 or 11 caps. Buy a tin of both, for starters.
Hard wool felt wads between powder and ball will keep the bore cleaner longer.
Lubricate the hard felt wad with melted SPG, Lyman Black Powder Gold or the homemade lubricant named after me: Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant.
See my posts for directions on making and using Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant for wads, bullets and patches.
Wear eye and ear protection.
Never let anyone stand to the side while the revolver is being fired. These guns release a lot of ejecta that can cause injury.
During firing, keep and powder, powder flasks and caps well behind you, away from sparks.
Don't smoke or use alcohol while using this revolver, or any other firearm for that matter.
Clean the revolver right after use. Black powder and substitute powders can attract moisture and quickly promote rusting.
Never underestimate the lethality of cap and ball revolvers. They have killed millions and still may.
Be wary of Slackjaws who urge you to load to maximum or beyond the recommendations. They are morons.
Be wary of Hodgdon 777 black powder substitute powder. Visit the Hodgdon powder website to learn its proper use.
If you have a brass-framed revolver, don't load it to maximum. Brass-frames are damaged by the cylinder slamming back under high pressure.Keep loads moderate.

Have fun with that revolver. Look for my posts under the name "Gatofeo" for detailed information.

Enjoy! Be Safe!

-- Gatofeo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top