Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2014 9:11:58 PM EDT
I know there are several highly regarded books on making 18th century American long rifles. As of the moment, I have no tools nor any place to work on such a project, but I'd like to read up on how to do it for entertainment and future reference.

What are the recommended books, and which should I buy first?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I suggest a pedersoli flintlock from cabelas. Fairly inexpensive and an easy way to get into a flintlock to see if it's for you.
of coarse after you'll want to build your own.tons of fun. Check out track of the wolf for books.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The absolute best book on building longrifles is The Gunsmith of Grenville County.  It has detailed step by step instructions on virtually all aspects of flintlock construction.  You can purchase it from Track of the Wolf.  

BTW, best kits are Jim Chambers' Flintlocks. Quality and if something is wrong, he'll replace it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
americanlongrifles.org is the best forum for info, the best custom builders participate there. The arfcom of flintlocks.

IMO the best books are Gunsmith of Grenville County (Alexander),  Recreating the American Longrifle (Buchele) , and The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle (Ehrig).

Jim Chambers is in Candler, NC...go visit a Master if you can. Williamsburg and Old Salem gun shops too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top