Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2014 10:46:32 PM EDT
I'm going to look at one tomorrow. Seller claims its an original and not a reproduction. Any tips for what to look for in separating a reproduction from an original?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There are many things to look for: arsenal stamps, inspection stamps, weight of musket, even patina, lock size. Its kind of a long list. The wood on the stock should be aged. Standard threads not metric and no black powder warnings. Any dents and dings should be random and have no pattern. The metal should not smell like mustard or have a lot of bright red rust. I would post this question on the NSSA site. Those guys deal with this all the time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are many things to look for: arsenal stamps, inspection stamps, weight of musket, even patina, lock size. Its kind of a long list. The wood on the stock should be aged. Standard threads not metric and no black powder warnings. Any dents and dings should be random and have no pattern. The metal should not smell like mustard or have a lot of bright red rust. I would post this question on the NSSA site. Those guys deal with this all the time.
View Quote

Cool thanks. He suposedly took it to a shop and they offered him a grand. He offered to sell it to me for the same. At least I know a few things to look for now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is pitted, but the metal is bright - it has been polished and the patina removed.  This can hurt the value quite a bit - but is a common practice.  

Make sure to do your homework before you go - get the measurements for everything and bring a tape with you.  A great many of these have been shortened over the years - some well done and nice looking.  

Good luck - and if you get it - post pics!  
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it is pitted, but the metal is bright - it has been polished and the patina removed.  This can hurt the value quite a bit - but is a common practice.  

Make sure to do your homework before you go - get the measurements for everything and bring a tape with you.  A great many of these have been shortened over the years - some well done and nice looking.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here is what I posted in my GD thread earlier today.  Help me reconsider.

So I got to check it out today. It was a legitimate Springfield musket. It had all the correct markings as far as I know, V./P, eagle, Springfield, an M on the trigger guard, US on the butt plate, and I think I saw a date of '52' (I want to say it was on the under side and maybe a few others I'm forgetting about. The only thing that I couldn't find / was worn off was cartouches on the stock. Over all, it was in decent shape, but the stock was fairly worn with dings and a small section of wood repair, which looked like an expedient field repair, done with brass pins. Very little rust, but the metal was a little chewed up and pitted on the left side of the receiver and rest was covered in a nice patina. I ended up passing up on the deal. I might do a little more research before I make that decision final though.

I don't think the it was chopped anywhere.  His asking price was bumped up to $1000.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you know what model number the musket is?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you know what model number the musket is?
View Quote

1842.  Smooth bore, looks like it has never been cleaned, but well used.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet. I have been looking for a M1842 smooth bore but they are getting too  pricey
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, it never moved and he dropped the price to $600.  Now that I've got it in my hands again, it's a model 1847 and I'm guessing it was made in 1854 (butt plate markings are "E 54" and "US".  It's a little more chewed up than I remember, but I only looked at it for a few minutes the first time.  Function is fine, but I'm not sure if it will fire as the nipple is a bit chiggered.  Imgur isn't letting me post pics at the moment, but I'll get them up eventually.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]
$600 is a good price.  

I know it's been a while - what ever happened?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$600 is a good price.  

I know it's been a while - what ever happened?
View Quote

Bought it, forgot to post the pics.  Had it "appraised" by a collector at the a fun show.  Model 1942, dated 1947 all correct and original.  He originally told me $600 was "in the ball park".  We got to talking about it more, knowledgeable fella.  As I was walking away, he offered me $800.  When he figured out I wasn't interested in selling it, he said it could fetch $1200.  Pretty sure I could have gotten him up to $900-1000 if I wanted to sell it.  Here she be;

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome.  Nice looking rig.  

I've got an 1842 Springfield and a 1816 conversion Harpers Ferry.  

I love that style - one of my favorites.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top