Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:38:41 PM EDT
I have been using bore butter for years but no matter how careful I am to apply a heavy coat to the inside of the barrel I can count on comming up with a bit of rust when I run a dry patch through before I shoot. Is there something better out there for protecting the bores of these guns? I have a civil war musket that I shoot from time to time that I am most concerned about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean with hot soapy water.  Rinse with hot boiling water.  Apply your favorite gun oil.  Sperm oil is period correct, but hard to find these days, unless you have friends at Greenpeace.

This was the traditional method back in the day.  Nowadays, we can substitute Dawn dishwashing liquid for the soap.  It is a detergent, but serves the same purpose.

Hot water is still hot water.

Lots of different oils out there.  So much so that snake oil salesmen make a good living.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan to get some Dixie Gun Works Black Solve and try it.
I usually clean again a day or 2 after a shooting and cleaning session. There are always signs of rust, no matter how well I cleaned with hot water and soap previously.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean with hot soapy water.  Rinse with hot boiling water.  Apply your favorite gun oil.  Sperm oil is period correct, but hard to find these days, unless you have friends at Greenpeace.

This was the traditional method back in the day.  Nowadays, we can substitute Dawn dishwashing liquid for the soap.  It is a detergent, but serves the same purpose.

Hot water is still hot water.

Lots of different oils out there.  So much so that snake oil salesmen make a good living.
View Quote

I do the above and use bore butter as a bore preservative. I dont have issues with barrels that I can clean breech too muzzle ie revolvers and the trapdoor just the muzzle loaders.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Spray some Ballistol down the bore.....
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll try some Ballistol. I have been wanting to see how awsome everyone says it is first hand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I just use hot water when cleaning.
Use whatever I have handy as a rust preservative. Using Rem-Oil right now because it is what I have.
I've found the trick is to repatch the bore with oiled and dry patches for a few days after cleaning and store the gun muzzle down to allow barrel to drain.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
First question > Is your barrel removable from the stock?  ~ If so after cleaning and dry patching set it across two of your stove burners..... Set low, you will hear the last of the moisture sizzle out. Wrap foil around the scope if it is near the heat... A mix of equal parts Tallow and Bees wax, with a bit of boiled linseed or Neats foot oil to give it more workable nature 9 to 1 solids to oil. This is what all of the old now dead guys from the black powder club used. Leather conditioner, boot sealer, patch and bullet lube, Seal off revolver cylinders to prevent chain fire.

>> In the Mid-country it is the things you always had available and it does not go bad.... Tallow was used on the steam engines of ships, over oil because it did not wash off, well into the 50's then synthetics took over.
>>>Look for a youtube on rendering tallow, a half cup goes a very long way. bees wax is easy to find.

*** I have a couple of the Pattern Locks [made there own lock and triggers, stocks, furniture] They were alive when center fire was New.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I used Bore Butter when I first got into blackpowder because I figured it was the way to go with a muzzleloader. But it's a pain. Store it for a while and it dries hard in the bore. And it plugs up the flash channel easily. It makes a decent patch lube, but as a bore preservative, there are better options.

I switched to my usual stuff, Break Free. Been using it for years in the bores of all my guns (muzzleloader, centerfire, and rimfire) and never had a problem with rust, even with long-term storage. One or two dry patches before shooting removes it from the bore, then you're ready to shoot. Works for me.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used Bore Butter when I first got into blackpowder because I figured it was the way to go with a muzzleloader. But it's a pain. Store it for a while and it dries hard in the bore. And it plugs up the flash channel easily. It makes a decent patch lube, but as a bore preservative, there are better options.

I switched to my usual stuff, Break Free. Been using it for years in the bores of all my guns (muzzleloader, centerfire, and rimfire) and never had a problem with rust, even with long-term storage. One or two dry patches before shooting removes it from the bore, then you're ready to shoot. Works for me.

View Quote

Any issues with "tar" forming between the petrolium oil and the black powder soot?
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Any issues with "tar" forming between the petrolium oil and the black powder soot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are often afraid to use modern lubes in the bore because they've heard horror stories about it turning the barrel into a relic from Chernobyl. That's only a problem if you shoot it with the oil still in the bore. Like I said, a couple of dry patches removes the oil before shooting. I've been doing this for years and not experienced any problems. If you prefer, you can also use a patch with some rubbing alcohol on it to make sure.

I've found Break Free is much easier to use than Bore Butter and does a far better job of protecting the bore from rust. Some prefer older traditional stuff, like various greases. But I'm not reenacting, I'm just shooting, so I don't find it necessary to go that far with the particulars.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#12]
FPNI.  Hot soapy water.  Since sperm whale oil is as sacred as unobtanium, try rendering bear fat into bear oil.  Ned Roberts mentions it in The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle.  A classmate and I did that in Trinidad and another classmate  who was 1/2 mile away smelled it.  We all laugh about the day we stunk out the town.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
In the field I use TC 13 solvent.  At home, like everyone else, I use soapy water to clean and Barricade as a rust preventative.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Hot soapy water, and a hot water rinse, dry, and apply bore butter.  All I use in my 1861 Springfield.  I haven't shot it in 2 years, bore still as shiny as when i packed it away.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Elbow grease.  Clean every last trace of burned powder out of it.  Then Break Free.  Just run a dry patch down the barrel before snapping two caps and then loading.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Hot soapy water to clean and Eezox for rust prevention.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Ballistol

/thread
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#18]
All of the above are good. It is frequency and upkeep with them that matters. You just can't walk away from an old gun (A Civil War gun?) that probably has a pitted barrel without expecting to see some rust soon. Lube it all the time. It's the only way you can keep Mr. Rust at bay.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:31:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All of the above are good. It is frequency and upkeep with them that matters. You just can't walk away from an old gun (A Civil War gun?) that probably has a pitted barrel without expecting to see some rust soon. Lube it all the time. It's the only way you can keep Mr. Rust at bay.
View Quote

Yes the 1863 colt special contract musket is an origional civil war gun. I do check it for rust every so offen and re grease the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ballistol

/thread
View Quote
Which FWIW is more or less perfumed WD-40.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ballistol

I don't think so
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't think so
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ballistol

I don't think so
You don't think so, or you know it's not.
There's a pretty big differance.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
From the WD-40 page

"The catchall phrase "Stoddard Solvent” is no longer adequate to tell the proper story.

<nobr>WD-40</nobr>
does indeed have 50% mineral spirits, but they are refined and purified
for specific characteristics needed to meet today’s performance,
regulatory, and safety requirements."

Then there's Naphtha and distillates and stuff, all pretty easy to find online.

The MSDS for Ballistsoil...

Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil

from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX.

Volatile Organic Components (VOCs)

As an aerosol Ballistol contains 33.8% VOCs. As a non-aerosol it contains 5.3% VOCs

So, yea, the bulk of what's doing the work after the lighter stuff evaporates off in both cases is mineral oil.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Ballistol and WD-40 are quite different

I dilute Ballistol with water for cleaning corrosive stuff.

WD-40 displaces water

They are not even close to being the same product

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ballistol and WD-40 are quite different

I dilute Ballistol with water for cleaning corrosive stuff.

WD-40 displaces water

They are not even close to being the same product

View Quote
I guess you're not picking up what I'm putting down.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

ditto

I'm not gonna argue with you about it.

Have a good weekend

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ditto

Have a good weekend

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ditto

Have a good weekend

Yea not much to argue, both are just mineral oil.  One has an emulsifying agent, one other petroleum products.  

Both leave mineral oil behind as a lubricant/ protectant.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top