Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2014 11:44:28 AM EDT
Hey,
I went home to visit my family and my grandfather gave me an old cap and ball pistol that he said belonged to his grandfather. After googling it I think it's an 1861 Army but I don't know much more about it other than that.  It has an aftermarket cylinder but I have the original (he said something was wrong with the original and it was replaced).  All the serial numbers match.

I would like to know more about it if anyone has any info. I know nothing about cap and ball stuff and if this is in the wrong sub forum I apologize.

Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Neat gift. Any estimates on what they would bring at auction?

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You have a 1860 Colt Army in .44 caliber.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That thing is a deathtrap!  Send it to me along with a check for 25 bucks and I will dispose of it for you.....

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That thing is a deathtrap!  Send it to me along with a check for 25 bucks and I will dispose of it for you.....

View Quote

Based on your avatar I figure you'd offer two dental mirrors and a bottle of expectorant.  

Sweet old Colt.  Quite the gift.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
So are you in need of medical attention?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are you in need of medical attention?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks a bunch guys. From looking around online I think I'll need a size no 11 tool to take the nipples out to clean them. Does anyone know of anyone that could clean up that cylinder?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes  most likely a number 11 nipple wrench will work.  I would suggest soaking in some form of penetrating oil for 24 hours or so prior to trying to remove the nipples.  

Also if you get a pre 1983 penny and use that to remove any surface rust, it will not strip off the remaining bluing, only the rust.  

You want to be very careful how you proceed on this, If someone bubba's it up it will destroy the value.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top