Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2014 3:37:41 PM EDT
I have a T/C Hawken flintlock .50 cal that I built when I was a teen (35 years ago..yikes) and I just purchased some basic supplies and items to fire it again.  I was also digging through an old box of things from my mom's basement (GRHS) and found a small bag of "extra's" from when I built it plus the instructions.

So that I use the right tip for the right task, can you help me id what I have?

Rifle:

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The first two look to be cleaning jags, the third is a basic tip, bullet sweater and can be used as a cleaning jag. The last one with the cork screw on it is a wad puller, to remove a patch/wad
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The third one looks like it may be off a short-starter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The two in the top row are cleaning jags. The one on the right is a combination cleaning jag and ball seater. The one on the bottom is a patch worm, for removing patches from the barrel if they slip off your jag.

I'd just use the jag/seater, assuming it's the correct diameter for your bore.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for the help.  The combo jag/seater is the one that really had me confused as to when I would use this vs. just the ramrod to seat a ball.  I get the cleaning aspect of it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
That patch worm is great for getting crud out of the chamber area.  I just cram a wad of tow or cloth soaked in solvent in the muzzle and push it down into the chamber area with the worm.  It conforms to the shape of the barrel and gets much of the fouling out of those hard to reach areas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top