Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2014 12:27:31 PM EDT
Thought I would give black powder a try as it has always intrigued me. Was patient and was able to snag a Traditions Crockett Pistol in .32 caliber.

I have the Lyman second eddition black powder handbook and have been reading allot online.

For all you seasoned shooters, can you offer and tips or advice?

Also, I am putting together a list of items to pick up. I have on my list:

Ball starter
.310 balls (traditions recommended)
.010 patches (traditions recomends .012 but I can only find .010 and .015)
Powder horn / flask
Powder measure
.32 caliber jag
#11 caps
FFFg powder (traditions recommended)

If anybody can point me to a good place to buy stuff, it would be much appreciated.  The local Cabela's has a decent selection, but not much for smaller caliber stuff. Was checking out Dixie Gun Works for the stuff Cabela's doesn't have.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm familiar with semi auto pistols and revolvers, so I'm not new to shooting in general, just new to Black Powder.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Between these the three companies, you should be able to find just about anything you wish.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I make my own .310 round balls.  I've got a shit load, more than i'll ever shoot. If you want to pay postage, PM me and I'll send some to you.

ETA: i use FFF Goex.  pretty snappy!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I make my own .310 round balls.  I've got a shit load, more than i'll ever shoot. If you want to pay postage, PM me and I'll send some to you.

View Quote

Thanks! One of the things I was going to ask as well was if any powder was better than others, or if I should look for real black powder over a substitute.

I will probably start at about 10 grains of powder as Traditions recomends between 10 and 12 for the most accurate load.

I doubt I will load it up to the max load of 20 grains.

Edit: Upon further reading, I see Traditions only recomends using black powder or Pyrodex powder. No triple seven or Goex.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks! One of the things I was going to ask as well was if any powder was better than others, or if I should look for real black powder over a substitute.

I will probably start at about 10 grains of powder as Traditions recomends between 10 and 12 for the most accurate load.

Edit: Upon further reading, I see Traditions only recomends using black powder or Pyrodex powder. No triple seven or Goex.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goex is black powder.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, balls are there.  
Now I want to see some pix/videos.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Just google "balls and lube", should see all you want
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, BRB.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Another black powder newbie here. Recently came into an Armi Sport repro Enfield that's about 20 years old and only fired at reenactments.

I am interested in getting it running, but I'm a center & rimfire guy and I'm confused where to even begin. Any advice on sites or books to get me started?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OK, BRB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, BRB.

too funny

he must have found something good, never came back........
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

too funny

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, BRB.

too funny

I'm right here.  I just couldn't think of anything really good to post after that .
I was considering,  "OWWW, MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!"  But couldn't decide.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm right here.  I just couldn't think of anything really good to post after that .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, BRB.

too funny

Two holes high and low    I have a 32 rifle and shoot maxi's..... I love true Black powder, the smell and smoke takes you to a greater understanding of firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top