User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2014 2:53:22 PM EDT
Use the promo code and shipping is $5.
I couldn't resist.
Pietta 1851 Colt Navy .44
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good looking pistol. I my have to get one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
what promo code?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what promo code?
View Quote

Right next to where it says $5 shipping is a promo code.  Upper right portion of the page.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I must be reading the thread title wrong. Buck and a half meaning $1.50 or $150.00?

Promo code says not applicable to firearms... is it considered a firearm since it's black powder?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
$150   The shipping is only $5 when using the promo code
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Would be a smokin deal if steel frame.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are steel frames more desirable?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely, Brass frames don't hold up well to a lot of full power loads. Shoot them enough and the first thing that you notice is the imprint of the cylinder in the breech face, then the cylinder pin starts getting loose. Most people just don't shoot a BP revolver enpugh to ever notice it. I have two that are now cannibalized parts guns that I shot to pieces years ago. Steel frame only for me now except for my dad's gun. Stay on the low side and you'll probably never see any probs with a brass frame.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for  the info.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Like I said, MOST people will never shoot BP enough to shake it loose. I also wouldn't do a cartridge conversion cylinder in a brass frame. No way Jose!
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that even a copy of anything that ever existed?  I think they are cheap because its a flopped promotion.  Folks like their 51 navy's to be 36, if you want a 44 go Walker, Dragoon or 60 Army.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that even a copy of anything that ever existed?
No.
The Confederacy had a brass frame version .36 1851 Navy Colt during the Civil War to save short supplies of steel. Same with the .44 Remington 1858 New Army-brass frame in the Confederacy although the originals were steel. Pietta makes several brass or steel framed versions of those also.
These brass framed Italian made cap and ball pistols in .44 caliber will hold up well if low power loads are used. 20 grains of FFFg or Pyrodex equivalent will not abuse them and provide a ton of fun. The manual lists a min-max of 15-35 grains of FFFg. If you want to go big, get a Ruger Old Army.

With $5 shipping and sales tax it came to $167 +/-. Showed up yesterday and I'm more than pleased with the fit, finish and lock up. I was surprised to see the manual states using .454 balls. I assumed .451 would be used and have some to try. If they shave a slight ring of lead on seating in the chambers, they will work fine.

ETA: I had a brass frame Remington New Army I bought from Gander Mt. around 1982 for $129. I shot about 300 rds. through it and sold it in 2011 for $110. I rarely shot hot loads and it held up fine.
I had a blued Old Army also, which I regret selling. Those are unbeatable for a cap and ball revolver. Built like a tank.

Some interesting reading on cap and ball pistols and their loads. The .36 round ball was known as a capable killer, even though having about 100 ft./lbs. of energy at 30 yds.
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=133.0
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up the Griswold and Gunnison they have in the bargain cave right now.  Should be here Wed.-edit. Got it

" />
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 2:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
A good deal. I just don't care for the brass frame. For God's sake, could somebody please start making a genuine Navy copy? I want the proper .36 Cal.        

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A good deal. I just don't care for the brass frame. For God's sake, could somebody please start making a genuine Navy copy? I want the proper .36 Cal.          
View Quote

Steel frame-36 cal. The frame is color case hardened and the cylinder has a roll-engraved naval scene. Not sure if those details are a deal breaker for a "genuine" copy.
Steel 1851 Navy - .36 caliber
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both Uberti and Pietta make the correct .36 and case hardened frame.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#17]
First let me say, I own more of those 1851s in 44 with brass frames than I can count, also one Remington new army/brass. All are fine after 15 years of shooting, includeing maximum charges of 3f.
Second let me say; I remember when those were $78. I'm glad I got them when I did.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got one of these
That little keeper for the push rod front of the barrel. slips out of the dove tail with finger pressure
Trying jb weld so far it's cured and held

Been a week now

Since I have no caps and can't find any anywhere it's going to sit for a while before getting shot

Sucks too figured black powder caps would of Been accessible anywhere
Guess not

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 3:42:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just got one of these
That little keeper for the push rod front of the barrel. slips out of the dove tail with finger pressure

Been a week now

Since I have no caps and can't find any anywhere it's going to sit for a while before getting shot

Guess not

View Quote
I had the same problem with the keeper, it would drop the loading ram when shot. I just filed the keeper deeper so that the lug would engage deeper into the recess and that fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 4:51:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

First let me say, I own more of those 1851s in 44 with brass frames than I can count, also one Remington new army/brass. All are fine after 15 years of shooting, includeing maximum charges of 3f.

Second let me say; I remember when those were $78. I'm glad I got them when I did.
View Quote
Depending on the year you got them for that price, they might cost the exact same when inflation is taken into account.

For instance, 78 bucks in 1990 is 136 as of last year.

The same 78 bucks in 1980 is 213 now.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Depending on the year you got them for that price, they might cost the exact same when inflation is taken into account.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's funny is I was making more money back then than I am right now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Yea..  My Father made more money in the 80's making "less" than he does now.

Fucked up world.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you shoot them.  Wall hangers look better in brass.  

.......and if you get right down to it, I think the best shooters are the 1858 Remington styled revolvers in stainless steel.  I have a bunch of each as shooters and wall hangers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

.......and if you get right down to it, I think the best shooters are the 1858 Remington styled revolvers in stainless steel.  I have a bunch of each as shooters and wall hangers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brass is stronger than you think. I was reading in a welding manual about brass brazing, the guy who wrote the book was a welding instructor and said he had welded for NASA. He said he put brass and steel in a laboratory test machine that pulls on metal to test it's strength, he did it to show his students. The brass was actually stronger.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fucked up world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Fucked up world.

Yeah, but I meen I was literally making more. In '99 '00 I was making $10.75 plus benifits and lots of OT. Now I'm making $9.50, 32 hours a week, temp status and no benifits. At one point in 2003 I was making over $17 an hour. And to think, back then I complained about $1.50 a gallon gasoline.

I'm sure the workers that make these, or any other product, aren't getting paid any more now than then. So they'll say "cost of materials has gone up". Steel? You've got, what, a pound or 2 of steel? Maybe it went up $2. Somebody is getting rich and it ain't us.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#26]
brass frame! I would not buy it at any cost  good maker though
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had the same problem with the keeper, it would drop the loading ram when shot. I just filed the keeper deeper so that the lug would engage deeper into the recess and that fixed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got one of these

Been a week now

Guess not

didnt think of doing that hopefully the jb weld holds
finally got caps and powder in last month
I think I had waited maybe 7 months for that stuff to finally come in and jb weld will be cured for sure with that long of a wait

I think in a week or two I will finally be able to shoot it for the first time, long wait for me
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm looking at these right now. It will primarily serve as my sidearm during muzzleloader season.

My question is, if you HAD to, would this kill a deer HUMANELY at under 50 yards?

I'm not trying to use this as my primary deer gun, but if something goes wrong with my rifle, could I depend on this gun to drop a whitetail without having to track it for three counties until it bleeds out?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm looking at these right now. It will primarily serve as my sidearm during muzzleloader season.

My question is, if you HAD to, would this kill a deer HUMANELY at under 50 yards?

I'm not trying to use this as my primary deer gun, but if something goes wrong with my rifle, could I depend on this gun to drop a whitetail without having to track it for three counties until it bleeds out?
View Quote

Not the .36.  You're looking at about a .32 ACP level of power.  They'll work for dispatching a wounded deer at close range.  

The .44 would only be marginally better.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not the .36.  You're looking at about a .32 ACP level of power.  They'll work for dispatching a wounded deer at close range.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I got the Pietta New Army 1858 Remington in all stainless a while ago. I spent some time buffing out the metal and redoing the grips some. Looks really sharp now but I'd like to get some pearl grips for it as it'll go well with the Vaqueros that are pearled and buffed. It's still on sale for $319. I just sent away for an extra cylinder (stainless) as it and the blued ones are also now on sale. Either can be used in it. Not to bad a combination for under $400.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one I got around 1980 and the only difference I can see is mine has a round barrel - which I think is accurate for a brass-framed Confederate gun. Only "real" colts had the hexagonal barrels.

Regardless, there's lots of fun to be had with one - just be sure to either cover the chambers with grease, or use the new pre-lubed patches they make now. I didn't know that at first and once had one or two chambers go off when I fired it.

That was a bit of a shock!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think I had waited maybe 7 months for that stuff to finally come in and jb weld will be cured for sure with that long of a wait

I think in a week or two I will finally be able to shoot it for the first time, long wait for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got one of these

Been a week now

Guess not

If a part slips out of a dovetail, whether it be the part that holds the loading lever or a sight on a firearm, remove the part, hold it firmly in a vise and use a pointed punch to divot the underside of the dovetail near the edge. That will swell the size of the dovetail and create a press fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top