Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2014 12:32:35 AM EDT
EE Thread

So I grabbed another project - it may end up being a lifelong search for parts...

What we have here is an 1861 Savage Navy revolver in .36cal.  

It's actually a lever action revolver - you use your middle finger to cycle the cylinder - it will not cycle by cocking the hammer alone.  You can manually cock and de-cock the hammer though.

The sear doesn't hold the hammer back securely every time - but I think I can fix that with a file - the ledge is just quite worn in there.

The good news is - it came apart.  I was worried things would be quite frozen up.

One of the grips is in good shape - the other side is homemade - and not very well.  

Anyone know of a woodworker that can duplicate grips?  

The other issues -

I need a loading lever assembly - and a cylinder pin screw - which I think I have located already.  

I need a front sight - which will most likely have to be fabricated - the good thing is the threaded hole still looks good - and it wasn't snapped off inside of it.

The nipples are pretty beat from years and years of dry fire.  I'm going to have to do some looking to see what might fit for replacement(s).

And at some point in it's life - it was spray painted silver and gold.  - Is there anything I could soak it in to remove this without hurting anything else?  I don't want to scrub on it too hard.

Overall - I think it's a pretty cool project.

Here's some info on it -

Designed in 1860 by Henry S. North and Edward Savage, production began in Middletown, Connecticut in 1861 and ended in 1862 with a total of 20,000 units produced. An initial order of 5,500 units was placed in 1861 but was later extended to 12,000 units. The first units were delivered late 1861. The remaining units were sold to civilians and several ended up being used by the Confederates.

The Savage 1861 Navy was officially used by the following United States army regiments: 1st Wisconsin U.S. Volunteer Cavalry, 2nd Wisconsin U.S. Volunteer Cavalry, 5th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, and the 7th New York Cavalry

Confederate States Army regiments: 34th Battalion of Virginia Cavalry, 35th Battalion of Virginia Cavalry, 11th Texas Cavalry, 7th Virginia Cavalry and the 7th Missouri Cavalry

The United states Navy also used the revolver in small numbers.

They say that approximately 10% of them still exist -  this may be related to the fact that even though the gun was offered to the soldiers when the war ended, only 17 units were reported being bought.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat project. For the paint you might check out electrolysis. My FIL uses that method to restore old tools and it pulls rust and paint off without issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neat project. For the paint you might check out electrolysis. My FIL uses that method to restore old tools and it pulls rust and paint off without issue.
View Quote

I might just do that.  I've done bore electrolysis before - but never put together a tank.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool project gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a neat old pistol! Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Slathered it with Naval Jelly today - not for too long - just to lift the rust and paint - I have a little more work to do to it - but I ran out of time.

I have a new Trigger reset spring, loading lever assembly and a couple of screws on the way.  Thanks to the East Taylor Co.  http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/

I just need to find a good woodworker to replicate and fit some grips - or find an original pair - I missed a set by a couple of weeks on gunbroker - but I didn't even have the revolver yet at the time the auction ended.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a neat old pistol! Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.
View Quote

That takes retro to a very cool place.  Please keep us updated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting coincidence, just saw one on Pawn Stars in pretty decent condition. Rick bought it for $1400, expert said it was worth $1800-$2000 in decent condition.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I spent some time with Naval Jelly and a bit of brass wool.  

Boy she was dirty.  Looking pretty good now.

Just waiting on the craftsman to finish fabricating my replacement parts.  

Still looking for grips...  

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The loading lever assembly has arrived and has been fitted and installed.

Any recommendations on how to antique it so it matches the finish?

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#10]
So I plan to bury the loading lever in a cow patty - but until spring comes it's not going to happen - I refuse to keep a fresh cow dropping inside the house - let alone in my small workshop.  

So cold blue it is.  

I did a crappy oil spattered blue job and then hit it with a brass brush - it did the trick pretty well actually.

I also installed a new trigger return spring - thanks to East Taylor Co. - I had to bend it just a tad bit - and I ended up removing my hammer and taking a file to the gear edge where the sear catches it for the fire position.  Everything locks up nice and tight now.

My next move is going to have to be the Cylinder Spring - I need more retention between the cylinder and the cylinder back plate - this requires more rearward force.  I've emailed East Taylor to see if this is something they make/offer - if not, I may have to get creative.

My weak spring is allowing the cylinder parts to separate - and causing failure to rotate problems.

I plan on trying to fabricate the brass conical front sight this weekend...  wish me luck.

After that - it's on to grips and nipples!  

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice work! She's coming along nicely.

That's a neat old weapon!
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#12]
very cool project
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, so I fabricated a sight in the shape of the original - conical and brass - I think I did pretty good.  Started out as a wood screw...  My fingers hurt from filing - and I have a little smoothing to do with sandpaper - but it seated well.  I put a dab of E6000 in there just as a backup - I don't think it will be going anywhere.  Pretty good for being half in the bag on twisted tea.  

Guess I'll have to start on the grips earlier than I thought - especially if we are getting the snow we're supposed to get tonight and tomorrow - I am thinking of making them out of an old sporterized Springfield 03 stock I have kicking around.

Edit - here's a photo of an original for reference.  Of course the old brass has lost some shine.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Just caught this thread. Im glad to see it getting some new life!

You beat me to it as I was in the contemplating stage in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to take the grips to my local secret weapon...  

The Amish.

Thought about doing it myself... which I still might.  But I'm going to see what they think - some of these guys are magicians with woodworking.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top