Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2017 6:01:20 PM EDT
Either way I've always been interested in a 2A just to have a lee enfield in 7.62 nato to match my M1A, also cheaper ammo prices.

My buddy was flirting with the idea of getting a remington 700 to start getting into longer range shooting and I was thinking how I'd really like a longer range precision rifle with an enfield action. Unfortunately there are no modern bolt guns with this action. I know the mauser action is popular, but don't know why there is no love for the enfield action.

Anyway, if I were to restock it with a "modern" synthetic stock (Custom if needed), put a good scope and mount on it, and rebarrel if needed.. how accurate can I get it? I'm not looking to go crazy. I have my M1A scout to play with too.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The Brits used Lee Enfields to shoot out to 2,200 yards in matches.

However, setting one up is difficult. The two piece stock makes for difficult bedding issues.

Also, the action is "springy" compared to an action with front locking lugs. The Brits did claim that could be an advantage at long range if the ammo had inconsistent velocity, however, since I guess they throw the lower velocity bullets higher and at some distance they converge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an Isahpore, it shoots decently with the iron sights. I am a big fan of my mil-surp rifles, especially the few I have that are genuine, or even "fake" snipers. I like the tough actions that can take abuse, and all steel and wood components. But I don't think you should put any money into making the Ishapore any kind of precision rifle.

As the supply of mil-surp rifles is drying up, I have stuck to keeping my rifles as-is, and getting an inexpensive sporter rifle when I wanted more accuracy and the ability to add optics. Not that I would ever do it, but just to get a Mauser 98 drilled and tapped, and bolt bent, possibly barrel changed to 30-06 or 308.... that will cost you. For what that price I could buy a used Remington 700, and down the road replace or swap a barrel if it was ever needed, for a moderate sum.

So now, I balance my appreciation of military rifles with the needs of my aging eyes, by seeking out well done sporterized military rifles. I'm not talking about a horribly butchered action that had a scope poorly installed in someone's basement in 1950. There are decent '03's, Mausers, and M1917s that were minimally modified, and got a set of scope rings or peep sights added decades ago. They usually sell for pretty low prices, and you could not pay to have the same work done today for less than several hundred dollars.

You have to check the rifles carefully though. If it looks like a hack job: avoid it, because I have seen home drilled actions that were way off for scope mounts. They are essentially trash. But if the overall job looks like quality work, and still has the original mount on it, you should be in good shape.

I have an M1917 that had the rear sight ears cut off. The original stock was chopped down too. But I am almost tempted to put it back into a military stock, and then keep it as-is. Tough call... it's my money, essentially for cosmetics. But even cut up a bit, that $100 ugly M1917 is one tough, accurate, and reliable rifle. It does not look like much, but it survived the trenches of WW1, and will handle a muddy, snowy, or rainy hunting trip without blinking an eye.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like the ability to change the rifle back to military configuration as well, but I figured swapping stocks, adding a no tap/drill scope mount and even a rebarrel if needed couldnt hurt that goal.

I'm just wondering what the realistic MOA could get down to with those simple modifications. If its not much more than stock then perhaps I'll leave it in the orginal configuration and get the scope mount for kicks, or use my M1a, but if it seems worth it I'd do it. I just want something I can shoot out far with a scope that isnt terrible with an enfield action. I don't mind the mauser but having something different would be cool.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My Ishapore is in .303 and is in original but rough condition. It's literally one of the most accurate surplus rifles I own.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Ishapore is in .303 and is in original but rough condition. It's literally one of the most accurate surplus rifles I own.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/A6A0C3CE-9BA7-48CB-8DED-3072716986FF.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/5BD4B998-4F32-4DAD-AFD4-53F73C976517.jpg
View Quote
Nice family man!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/A6A0C3CE-9BA7-48CB-8DED-3072716986FF.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/5BD4B998-4F32-4DAD-AFD4-53F73C976517.jpg
View Quote
Nice collection. What rifle is that all the way to the left? And how far out were those shots?

Is it hard to restock an enfield. The issue of bedding and points of contact for accuracy worry me a bit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks like a Japanese Type 99 Paratrooper rifle. It's made to break down at that metal joint.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a K-31 and call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]
But I like SMLEs a lot more than the K31
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice collection. What rifle is that all the way to the left? And how far out were those shots?

Is it hard to restock an enfield. The issue of bedding and points of contact for accuracy worry me a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its Japanese Type 2 paratrooper. Shots were at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought an Ishy 2A in 7.62 NATO 15 or 20 years ago.  It sat in the safe for a while, then I gave it a detail clean and checked the headspace and gave it a good inspection.  All good.  Then I took it out to shoot and test its accuracy using some milsurp ammo.  It was amazing.  Nice trigger, the Enfield "push" instead of a hard shoulder smack, and so on.  Really amazing accuracy.

A short time later, I obtained a batch of lead balls in roughly .30 caliber to slug bores.  I drove the lead ball into the muzzle of the Ishy with a dowel.  It made it about six inches and fell the rest of the way to the breech.  So I checked the bore again, more closely.  The bore was shiny, but the throat erosion was obviously longer then I had thought.  The projectile was being well-stabilized in six inches of rifling near the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
After taking my no4 out to the range for the first time in awhile today.. I don't think I'm going to be making a precision rifle out of the enfield. I forgot how uh.. rough you work the bolt on these rifles compared to say something like a mauser action hunting rifle. I don't think the two go together. I still want to scope it though. .308 is cheaper and I don't want to mess with my No4. Will probably do something to make it look "period"
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Here are some scope mounts for your Enfield.

I am not sure what scope size the No. 4 mount fits.

http://www.accumounts.com/enfield-303.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks man. Doesnt say it works with a no3 though, or ishy 2a. I don't think Im going to mess with my number 4 quite yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks man. Doesnt say it works with a no3 though, or ishy 2a. I don't think Im going to mess with my number 4 quite yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, you said Ishy and my mind jumped to No.4, even with the 2A picture there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top