Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2017 11:56:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely looks like a cut No. 4,which just means you have a cheaper, actually accurate No. 5 pretty much.

This will probably help.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely looks like a cut No. 4,which just means you have a cheaper, actually accurate No. 5 pretty much.

This will probably help.
View Quote
That may not kick as hard.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The marking on the barrel. looks like a navy arms when it was in Ridgefield NJ

In the 1960/s Navy ARms of Ridgefield New Jersey in the US imported large numbers of used surplus Lee Enfields,and had them customised/sporterised into various styles with mismatched serial numbers,as provided the head spacing was within limits,it was a question of putting a gun together with used parts from many backgrounds.
The finish on some of these parts guns was redone,and
they were selling very well.
They still turn up on the U.S. market but are valued
below the original they tried to copy,not only by being
a more common model,but also due to mismatched serial
numbers.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/jungle-carbine-lithgow-5078319.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it's a cut-down early BSA No. 4 Mk. I.

Note - this rifle has had its serial number defaced (though who knows who did it and when).
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Could you elaborate?
View Quote
The rifle's serial number does not appear to be visible any longer on the wrist. The 1942 is the date of manufacture, not the serial; that would have been beneath it. Can you discern any other numbers below the 1942?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, there's a very faint four digit number below the date.

Thanks for your help!!
View Quote
Good deal. Refinishing sometimes made the serial numbers illegible; not uncommon with Enfields. Makes it difficult to identify if the rifle is matching or not. I've got a Mk. III with a nice London Proof House mark over top of the serial on the receiver; it's legible, but only barely.

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yours appears to have the early Mk.1 milled, micrometer rear sight for the No.4; those are pretty desirable anymore.

I went to buy one for my No.4 Mk.1 years ago, turned out to be an actual Jungle Carbine rear sight. Still click-adjustable but different values per click and only goes to 800yd (like I can even shoot well enough to get a hit at 800, never mind 1200! )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top