Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 1:21:34 AM EDT
I inherited my grandfathers bring back type 38 a few years ago. From my limited research, it seems to be a "school" rifle. It has the double 0 before the 163,754 serial number and school mark on the top of the bbl. Im hoping someone can tell me more about the barrel proof marks. I've read the there should be a circle with a triangle, which there is, and either an "S" or "B" proof mark as well. Mine looks more like a "<".

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Would need much more to go on than that 1 pic...take pics of the receiver, top, and left side especially, and some overall pics....
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. This is what I know about the rifle. My grandfather brought it back from the  Philippines after WW2. He was a tail gunner on a B-24 at the end of the war. I have the bring back papers as well.
Here are some more photos. I'm curious about the barrel proof markings. Thanks again.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, I know the wood was lightly sanded and "refinished", because I helped (in fact, begged) my grandpa do it in my youth. Ugh... Neither of us knew any better. Grandpa wasn't a gun guy. He never shot it. It's missing the floor plate, follower, and magazine spring. I hope to shoot in the near future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top