Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 7:51:27 PM EDT
So a while back Sputnik556 posted a 1903A3 receiver he took a chance on, that had issues with the grinding of the receiver face.

He decided not to keep it, and I bought it, just to make into a paperweight....

Got a rear sight, and a trigger/sear group...

Cleaned it up a bit, put it together....all I really need now is a mag spring and follower, and it will be pretty much all there....

Makes a great desk display, and I like Smith Corona's as I went to high school not far from where they were built....

Thought I'd post some pics of the finished item...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I would proudly display that on my desk. Nice use of something that otherwise had no future.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
How bad is the receiver face?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How bad is the receiver face?
View Quote
It is pretty bad, when whoever had it they ground the weld off in such a way, the face is slanted (more on top than on the bottom), so you would have to face it to square it up so far that you'd then have to mess with the barrel to get it to mount properly...

Sputnik took it to several gun smiths, and no one would do it...

I just wanted it as a paperweight anyway....

Doesn't bother me a bit...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I was just curious. If it would need alot of material removed to square it up then yeah, its a paperweight. Damn shame really, if you take your time removing the material, the rifles arent that hard to reactivate
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice display
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
couldnt get more material flame sprayed on or welded in and then remachine?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
couldnt get more material flame sprayed on or welded in and then remachine?
View Quote
More or less the same thing occured to me but any way to add material is going to possibly raise hell with the heat treating of the receiver. Not sure if re-treating is possible and what it would do to the dimensions of the whole thing.

Not sure I would want to lay my face alongside the thing and pull the trigger.

I do agree it is a shame to give up on a piece of history but it is the coolest paperweight !
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I just now saw this thread, looks awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top