Saw some in pretty good condition 90 to 80 % blue for 223 is that a deal
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No damit and there gone I am a rookie argh
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a 98k that had been captured by the Yugos in WW2.  It had been "arsenal restored" by one of those Slavic bastards and put away, then later imported in the 90's.  It was in great shape, way better than any Mauser I'd seen to that point.  When I got it home and cleaned all the cosmoline out and cycled some rounds through it something just didn't feel right to me.  It nagged at me for a few days and took it to a gunsmith I knew who specialized in milsurps.  I had him look it over and headspace it.  I'll never forget what he said, "The Yugo's did a great job rehabbing this gun, however they missed one thing, the headspace, the bolt closed on a field gauge."  Back it went to the shop I bought it at and I got a Ruger 10/22T in exchange.  Everytime I shoot that 10/22T I think of that Mauser and what could have happened had I not listened to my gut instinct.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a 98k that had been captured by the Yugos in WW2.  It had been "arsenal restored" by one of those Slavic bastards and put away, then later imported in the 90's.  It was in great shape, way better than any Mauser I'd seen to that point.  When I got it home and cleaned all the cosmoline out and cycled some rounds through it something just didn't feel right to me.  It nagged at me for a few days and took it to a gunsmith I knew who specialized in milsurps.  I had him look it over and headspace it.  I'll never forget what he said, "The Yugo's did a great job rehabbing this gun, however they missed one thing, the headspace, the bolt closed on a field gauge."  Back it went to the shop I bought it at and I got a Ruger 10/22T in exchange.  Everytime I shoot that 10/22T I think of that Mauser and what could have happened had I not listened to my gut instinct.
View Quote
You would probably still be shooting that 98k with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps I didn't explain it properly.  Excessive headspace.  Thats bad juju.  Case ruptures or a bolt failure, no thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually that's not what happens until? you get way out there. Hatcher tested Enfields out to .0014 thousandths past max headspace and finally stopped testing.

My point was you most likely would never have noticed a headspace issue...as the dangers of it especially in a Mauser are overblown..
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top