Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2017 8:50:30 AM EDT
I really thought the 1903 colt was up for bidding. Ended up buying this horribly nickel plated blue gripped dreyse 1907 in bad shape. Should I write it off as lesson learned or buy repo grips to make it as nice possible?

Please don't laugh too hard, I should know better.

Pictures won't work. Will try later.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the pictures, but I've bought nasty nickeled pistols, stripped them, and then either electroless nickeled them or refinished them another way. So you might be able to salvage it. Or just cut your loses and get rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What did you use to strip them?
Brownells safe for metal strip is $80. The pistol seems over polished as it is. Hate to remove or damage the metal anymore than it already is.
Hate to spend $80 for stripper I won't likely use again.
Photobucket won't load and the site pic hosting seems to be dead to Android lately. I'll try something else and get pictures up soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet Jesus just bury the bastard.  THey are ugly guns to begin with, but holy shit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
As far as accidently bidding on something goes you went all in on bad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did you use to strip them?
Brownells safe for metal strip is $80. The pistol seems over polished as it is. Hate to remove or damage the metal anymore than it already is.
Hate to spend $80 for stripper I won't likely use again.
Photobucket won't load and the site pic hosting seems to be dead to Android lately. I'll try something else and get pictures up soon.
View Quote
I use a powder based stripper from a local plating company. It only runs $20 for the powder, but does require a special tank, heater, and a constant agitation pump. I'd try stripping it for you and the blast and parkerize it, but honestly you would probably be better off just listing it as a "gunsmith special" on gunbroker for $0.01 and let people fight over it. It doesn't matter how crappy a gun is, people will fight over it if it started out at $0.01.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't that a GI bring back plated and re-gripped "in country"?  Or maybe Hitler's hairdresser's pistol?

Frame it and put it on the wall to always remind you to pay attention at auctions and not wipe your nose at the wrong time.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Isn't that a GI bring back plated and re-gripped "in country"?  Or maybe Hitler's hairdresser's pistol?

Frame it and put it on the wall to always remind you to pay attention at auctions and not wipe your nose at the wrong time.

Rob
View Quote

I'll more than likely try to restore some dignity to this old german pistole. Managed to field strip last night. The side of the frame has cracked. Will need to strip the nickel off in order to weld it. Or I could sell the parts on ebay and make the most money back.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll more than likely try to restore some dignity to this old german pistole. Managed to field strip last night. The side of the frame has cracked. Will need to strip the nickel off in order to weld it. Or I could sell the parts on ebay and make the most money back.
View Quote
If the frame is cracked I would just part that pistol out, at least that pistol could keep several other Dreyse pistols running.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not the frame, sorry. The barrel housing is cracked at the base of the barrel. I'm rethinking this and may just throw it in a box for a rainy day. Probably not safe to shoot, would cause further damage.
Need to find a cheap way to strip the nickel. Until them it's just a paper weight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
That's quite the pistol you've purchased there.  Your new everyday carry gun?

New grips are only worthwhile if you can fix the metal damage first.  Otherwise, leave it in it's pimp-gun state.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I assume you didn't pay too much for it since I can't see anyone bidding very much on a dreyse that ugly. I would probably just keep it and buy another dreyse as a shooter. That way at least you have a source for spare parts.

I kind of did that for a sauer 38H. I bought a cheap "parts kit" gun that would be too expensive to make whole again. I plan on finding another 38H eventually to use as a shooter that way I always have spares should something break.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ son!  When you eff up, you go all out!

I would keep that simply as a momento of such a screw up.  If nothing else as a reminder to double check before hitting submit.

MLG
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow. Well, you've learned an important lesson!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ son!  When you eff up, you go all out!

I would keep that simply as a momento of such a screw up.  If nothing else as a reminder to double check before hitting submit.

MLG
View Quote
It was a live auction, no hitting submit. Was crowded and I couldn't see well. Had a feeling I should have gone home.
When the auction closed I thought that's way too cheap for what I was bidding on. The spare parts gun is a good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top