Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2017 8:01:14 PM EDT
So a while back I bought one of the Mosins from Centerfire Systems ($199).....attached is a not so great picture and target from the range (50 meters using a bench). The finish on the rifle is simple BLO....I stripped the varnish finish which was probably typical of most Mosins.....

I am not a great rifle shot (usually just got "sharpshooter" iin the service) but I am happy with how the rifle is regulated....pretty much on target at POI! I think the Russkies actually followed their maintenance manual on zeroing etc...before putting it into storage.

I did get the "sticking bolt " problem on extraction (smacked it with my palm)....cases were Tula steel but looked OK.....will check "the Youtube" for a fix....I think  Iraqvetreran8888 had one....

Edit: pics not working....

Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive had one for a few years got it for 80someodd dollars killed a few deer with it i like it it is a good shooting rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Did the cases have laquer on them to seal the primers and the bullets?
It gets hot and melts and makes a mess....
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did the cases have laquer on them to seal the primers and the bullets?
It gets hot and melts and makes a mess....
View Quote
no it doesnt
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok. I know my Russian surplus in the 440 rd can has some kind of a coating on them... they are brass though..
and that rifle will get some hot that you would think the forearm wood should blister up and catch on fire.
You literally can't touch it with your bare hand..... and the bolt is sticky.
But it's fun to shoot and can hit a 20oz soda bottle at 110m with iron sights.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok. I know my Russian surplus in the 440 rd can has some kind of a coating on them... they are brass though..
and that rifle will get some hot that you would think the forearm wood should blister up and catch on fire.
You literally can't touch it with your bare hand..... and the bolt is sticky.
But it's fun to shoot and can hit a 20oz soda bottle at 110m with iron sights.
View Quote
Most of the surplus stuff is "copper washed" over a steel case. It may have a red coating where the bullet is seated and around the primer. It's lacquer but will not melt in your gun.

Only issue is the primers are corrosive so make sure to properly clean your bore or it will corrode out
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
My bad.....it's not surplus ammo, it's commercial "Tulammo".....the cases are gray, not copper washed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Fyi, aim has 7.62x54r for 7.98 a box
It's shooting great out of my mosins
Aim
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fyi, aim has 7.62x54r for 7.98 a box
It's shooting great out of my mosins
Aim
View Quote
That's getting into the right price territory, maybe there's hope for the future.  I still have some Bulgarian heavy ball and Russian light ball to live off for a while yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds bass ackwards, but my gun ONLY runs well on the green lacquered steel case stuff.  The grey polymer coated stuff causes the bolt to stick like a motherfucker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top