Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 10:57:03 PM EDT
Picked up a Winchester US 1917 rifle at the show this past weekend.  Receiver and barrel match (August 1918 date) and are blued, not parkerized. Stock, sights (front and rear) and some of the bands are all W marked.  Bolt, trigger guard and a number of the internals are a mix of Eddystone and Remington marked parts.  No stampings on the stock that I can discern.  ME measures 2.0.  Good rifling throughout.

Would it be worthwhile to attempt to replace the non-Winchester parts with correct parts where I can find them?  Or should I just enjoy it as is?

DSC_5521crp by depercy, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle! Mind if I ask how much you got it for? They seem to be $700+ nowadays.

I'd 100% keep it the way it is. All my WW2 American guns have a mix of parts. That's how they rolled out of the armory and it's just a product of our ability to mass produce components from multiple manufacturers that can all function together.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rifle! Mind if I ask how much you got it for? They seem to be $700+ nowadays.

I'd 100% keep it the way it is. All my WW2 American guns have a mix of parts. That's how they rolled out of the armory and it's just a product of our ability to mass produce components from multiple manufacturers that can all function together.
View Quote
I paid $700 for it.  Fair price in my neck of the woods.  Especially for Winchesters.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I would leave it as is.  It may not be factory correct any longer but even a refurbished rifle has historical value.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
With NO stampings on the stock whatsoever, its likely sanded, or maybe a replacement, but not military refurb (as it would have the refurb arsenal stamp in it)...

So unless you want to try and find a correct stock for it too, I'd just leave it and enjoy it...

Of course if you are walking around a gunshow, and can find some matching finish, correct parts for it...I'd probably replace them...but it wouldn't be a priority...

Its not going to really enhance its value....
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked and Ebay has plenty of parts for sale. Depends on how much you want to spend.

I would leave it the way it is.  The parts wouldn't match the color.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With NO stampings on the stock whatsoever, its likely sanded, or maybe a replacement, but not military refurb (as it would have the refurb arsenal stamp in it)...

So unless you want to try and find a correct stock for it too, I'd just leave it and enjoy it...

Of course if you are walking around a gunshow, and can find some matching finish, correct parts for it...I'd probably replace them...but it wouldn't be a priority...

Its not going to really enhance its value....
View Quote
I thought most of the military refurbs got parkerized.  As I indicated, receiver and barrel are still blued.  That's why I'm thinking it was never arsenal refurbed.  And the stock is marked with a W at the front. So as far as I can tell, it's the correct stock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for eagle head stamps on the stock in front of the magazine and/or behind the trigger guard. The M1917 didn't get all the box stamps like the M1903 did. Based on the coloration of the stock, it looks like someone "cleaned" it so any markings may be faint or gone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
looks nice...  how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I thought most of the military refurbs got parkerized.  As I indicated, receiver and barrel are still blued.  That's why I'm thinking it was never arsenal refurbed.  And the stock is marked with a W at the front. So as far as I can tell, it's the correct stock.
View Quote
See what Dracster said, the tip is nice with a "W". but that stock would have at least had some Eagle head acceptance marks on it if it was un dinked with...plus looking at things like the finger grooves, and other edges, it looks like it was sanded...

IMHO....
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
looks nice...  how does it shoot?
View Quote
I haven't made it out to the range yet.  Hoping to this weekend, but possibly not.  Full schedule at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

See what Dracster said, the tip is nice with a "W". but that stock would have at least had some Eagle head acceptance marks on it if it was un dinked with...plus looking at things like the finger grooves, and other edges, it looks like it was sanded...

IMHO....
View Quote
Looking at some additional images on the web, I see what you're talking about.  Oh well, hopefully it' s a good shooter. 
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looking at some additional images on the web, I see what you're talking about.  Oh well, hopefully it' s a good shooter. 
View Quote
It still a fine 1917, and a Winchester to boot....it is a bonus for it to have its original blue, and not a repark...I just think finding the correct parts, AND a nice undinked with Winchester stock would run into big bucks (the stock especially, that's what everyone with a spoorterized gun needs...same dal with 98k's), and probably not be worth it...

Now, if you luck into a good stock...woohoo...

Same with the metal, I wouldn't make it a priority, but if I found the bits and pieces walking around gunshows, or cheap on ebay, I'd replace them...you can always sell off the replaced parts and make some money back...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top