Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 5:50:55 PM EDT
LGS has a 1917 Gewehr 98 for 175 bucks. Problem is front sight is missing and lower stock has a very large piece of wood missing . I found the front sight and base at numrich for about 16 bucks.  other than that all other parts are there. is it worth fixing and will be shootable? And are the lower stocks unobtainium? Thanks

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you dont mind a hodgepodge gun, and the mechanical stuff is in good shape, and you're willing to be patient looking for a stock, I'd get it. 

It has a lange vizier sight?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
$175 is pretty cheap...do numbers match?

Stocks are hard to find, but around, maybe easier and cheaper to find than 98k stocks...

If number match, I would snag it for sure for that price...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It does have that weird ramp sight.  Just no front sight Im assuming these were soldered on? As far as numbers matching I didnt look hard. No import marks that I could see . Finish is about 60-75 percent.  Barrel is good. I may pass after looking at stock prices as I really have no desire for a Gew 98  Would rather a 98k

I saw numrich has brazilian 1908 stocks which I read are a direct fit?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It does have that weird ramp sight.  Just no front sight Im assuming these were soldered on? As far as numbers matching I didnt look hard. No import marks that I could see . Finish is about 60-75 percent.  Barrel is good. I may pass after looking at stock prices as I really have no desire for a Gew 98  Would rather a 98k

I saw numrich has brazilian 1908 stocks which I read are a direct fit?
View Quote
Buy it at that price then trade it to some 98k collector who's on a WWI kick. 

Unfucked-with (or lightly fucked-with) Gew 98's can be expensive.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy it at that price then trade it to some 98k collector who's on a WWI kick. 

Unfucked-with (or lightly fucked-with) Gew 98's can be expensive.  
View Quote
Im thinking this.  If I change the stock and add the front sight back how bad would that hurt the value ? Im looking at 75 in parts and then having the sight soldered back on . Its the whole band not just the blade.  And then inguessing it will have to be refinished. Im thinking 400 450 all in and thats conservative. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
If the numbers match, it's a no brainer for that price...it would not need to be refinished. If you refinish it, you will kill any value it has. No collector will buy it.

Speaking for myself, i'd buy it, do the front sight, try and find a stock, if not, I'd sell it as is as a project gun...or keep it, I like Imperial stuff too...

I will say, any G98, even all matching, will fetch a lot less than a similar 98k, 98k prices are crazy...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea The stock prices are whats killing it for me. Im seeing close to 200-300 for a stock . And I know the 1908 Brazilian is the easy cheap way to do it and not the right thing.  Still not as bad as finding an M44 stock
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yea The stock prices are whats killing it for me. Im seeing close to 200-300 for a stock . And I know the 1908 Brazilian is the easy cheap way to do it and not the right thing.  Still not as bad as finding an M44 stock
View Quote
May be cheaper to find a truly FUBAR Turk'd Gew 98 and pull the stock from that.  At least it'd be a legit 98.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Before you go replacing the stock, post a picture of the damage.

It could likely be fixed for cheaper than a new stock, plus then it would have the original stock still.

Can't believe no one mentioned this before.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Any chance the barrel had been shortened,  hence the missing front sight?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Stock hole looks like when you bite deep into an apple and its in a thinner spot near the front sling swivel . As far asbarrel shortened i dont think so because I can see where the sight used to be.  Next time I go by I will take pics 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
For a stock, look for a yugo reworked G98. J&G had them for $250ish a few years ago. Mine has a moderately worn but uncut stock. EWB marked too (~1920 Bavarian militia).

Since these rifles had the German marks scrubbed and people are used to seeing the more common yugo scrubbed k98s, they sometimes sell for less than the value of their parts
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#13]
IMHO, I would get it.   You can patch it a piece of similar wood.  The Russians did it on their 91/30's .  They usually chisel out a square section and glue/epoxy a piece in.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
pics added . All numbers match even the stock 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck yes buy the goddamn thing.

Numrich has front sight bases and blades
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fuck yes buy the goddamn thing.

Numrich has front sight bases and blades
View Quote
I agree....hell, you can find a donor stock, and "duffle cut" and replace yourself, and keep the original stock, or just leave it be....matching number, out of the woodwork, G 98 collectors would snap that up...
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
How bad would it hurt value to add repro front sight and sling swivels and maybe have stock repaired?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How bad would it hurt value to add repro front sight and sling swivels and maybe have stock repaired?
View Quote
Are you keeping it, or selling it?

I wouldn't put repro anything on it, how much does an original cost?

The stock? If it is done right, and correctly, like the arsenal did? It would be ok, but I can tell you most collectors would rather get them like this, and either leave it, or repair it themselves the way they want it....

To a collector, the repro parts and an incorrectly repaired stock will hurt it quite a bit value wise...

IF you buy it, before you do anything, post good pics here...

http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdisplay.php?31-Mauser-Rifles-1870-to-1918-The-Imperial-Era

Loewe who moderates and posts there is probably one of the top experts in Imperial Mausers in the US certainly....plus lots of hard core Imperial collectors there, they can give you a good assessment and recommendations....

ETA Plus looking at that damage, that looks original, and may be shrapnel or bullet damage, and some collectors actually collect battle damaged stuff...
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Numrich has a non-repro fsb. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA Plus looking at that damage, that looks original, and may be shrapnel or bullet damage, and some collectors actually collect battle damaged stuff...
View Quote
This.

I wouldn't do any more than clean it and replace the front sight.
Anything else will kill the value.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Numbers matching?  Buy it, if it's still there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#22]
If stock is matching, which you said it was, dont screw with it. Leave that stock on there and fix the front site, sell for a tidy profit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you buy this thing, OP?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you buy this thing, OP?
View Quote
Yeah, if it is numbers matching, I would seriously double your money, as is...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Nope.  passing on it.   
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey I'm in Louisiana too. Where's it at? 

I sent you an email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top