Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 10:40:38 PM EDT
Below is a buddy's rifle recently given to him from his Grandma that was his Grandad's deer rifle. In the case with the rifle was some 6.5 Jap ammo but he asked me to take a look and see if I could confirm it. While looking it over I broke it down and gave it a good cleaning, which it was in need of, but there are almost no markings on the gun. As you can see the rifle has been sporterized but have to say other than not re-blueing the barrel where they removed the original sites I really like the gun, long barrel and has a great balance.

The 6.5 Jap round drops good into the chamber and putting the bullet into the muzzle it seemed to be the right size but a little research has me thinking this is a Carcano and not an Arisaka rifle. Primarily I am making the assumption off of the action/receiver from pics i have been looking at.

The Carcano is listed as a 6.5X52 & the Arisaka as a 6.5X50 round but yet Norma sells ammo that show can go to either???

Any help or knowledge on the matter is greatly appreciated.
I could of course take a mold of the chamber and know for sure....

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Japanese Carcano Type I
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Have a chamber cast done, want to say a number of Carcano's were sold to Japan and may have been rechambered there.
Not sure at the moment of the cartridge dimensions if the 6.5 Jap is small enough to fit or not in an unaltered 6.5 Carcano chamber.
Check that first then have a chamber casting done.
May be just a wall hanger as unsafe to fire.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Japanese Carcano Type I
View Quote
^This

It's a Japanese Type I.

It will be in 6.5 japanese.

The dead giveaway is you said it has a long barrel and no markings besides a serial number.

Another thing that will say that it's a Type I is if the stock is 2-piece on the buttstock area.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

^This

It's a Japanese Type I.

It will be in 6.5 japanese.

The dead giveaway is you said it has a long barrel and no markings besides a serial number.

Another thing that will say that it's a Type I is if the stock is 2-piece on the buttstock area.

http://i.imgur.com/wxhxmtP.jpg?1
View Quote
Yes, the butt stock is 2 piece. Didn't know this was a trade mark, we assumed it was a flaw.

Thanks for the replies to all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top