Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2017 10:22:20 AM EDT
Does anyone know what the current approval time is for a C&R license?  Mine expired four years ago and I am going to reapply.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming it will be between three to seven weeks. No one here has applied or reapplied recently?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it a simple form you fill out and mail to the ATF?

I recall not doing it because of a log book. Do you have to record all C&R guns even if they were bought face to face? And can you at least destroy the log book after your C&R license elapses?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time around the word was that you could trash the book if the license expired, but if the license was surrendered then you had to turn the book in with it. 

Keeping a book ok is no big deal, all you have to do is log in the gun when you buy it and out when you sell it (if you have a license when you sell it).
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
did mine in Jan and it took 4 weeks
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I mailed mine in on April 10th and forgot to send it certified.  They still haven't charged my CC yet. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Mailed mine April 7th, regular mail.  Charged on April 14th.  Still pending.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess mine got lost in the mail.  I called the ATF and they have no record of it.  My local post office is very anti-gun and I would not be surprised if they trashed it when they saw it in the outgoing mailbox.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I recall not doing it because of a log book. Do you have to record all C&R guns even if they were bought face to face? And can you at least destroy the log book after your C&R license elapses?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From page 54 of ATF's C&R List

Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector’s license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity?

No.  The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearm “business” is discontinued.  A license as a collector of Curios or Relics does  not authorize any business with  respect to firearms.  This is in contrast to firearm importers, manufacturers, and dealers who are licensed to engage in a firearms business.  Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collectors’ licenses are not renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4), 27 CFR 478.127]
From 27 CFR 478.129:

(e) Records of dealers and collectors under the Act. The records prepared by licensed dealers and licensed collectors under the Act of the sale or other disposition of firearms and the corresponding record of receipt of such firearms shall be retained through December 15, 1988, after which records of transactions over 20 years of age may be discarded.
So if you've been a C&R or dealer for 20+ years, any transactions (receipts or dispositions) that took place more than 20 years ago no longer have to be recorded in your bound book. If you let your C&R expire, you have to keep records of transactions for 20 years, then you can get rid of them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
On the approval time, I mailed mine on April 13, check was cashed April 18. Haven't received the renewal yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From 27 CFR 478.129:

So if you've been a C&R or dealer for 20+ years, any transactions (receipts or dispositions) that took place more than 20 years ago no longer have to be recorded in your bound book. If you let your C&R expire, you have to keep records of transactions for 20 years, then you can get rid of them.
View Quote
That isn't how it reads. 1988 was the cutoff for retention of records.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From 27 CFR 478.129:

There may have been a slight miswording in my interpretation.

As the language reads:

The records prepared by licensed dealers and licensed collectors under the Act of the sale or other disposition of firearms and the corresponding record of receipt of such firearms shall be retained through December 15, 1988, after which records of transactions over 20 years of age may be discarded.
Amended interpretation: all records of the sale or other disposition of firearms (and corresponding receipts) must be held through December 15, 1988. After December 15, 1988, all records of sales or other dispositions that are over 20 years old may be discarded. Since today's date is currently after December 15, 1988, all records of sales or dispositions (and corresponding receipts) that are more than 20 years older than today's date may be discarded. Given that today is May 2, 2017, if I were to surrender my license today I would still have to retain any records of sale or dispositions (or corresponding receipts) that occurred before May 2, 1997, until such time as the record of the sale or disposition (or corresponding receipt) is more than 20 years old. It's a rolling window. Once a record (i.e. the bound book entry for a particular firearm) is more than 20 years old it can just get cut out of the bound book.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Received May 6th.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Darn... mine was charged 5/1 and still nothing.
Is there a number to call and check on the status?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Darn... mine was charged 5/1 and still nothing.
Is there a number to call and check on the status?
View Quote
I resubmitted mine on May 1, 2017 and it went pending on 5/12/17.  They told me they have 60 days to approve or deny the applications.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I mailed my app on 5/23 and had my C&R in the mail on 6/17.  Just about 3.5 weeks including mailing time.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I mailed my app on 5/23 and had my C&R in the mail on 6/17.  Just about 3.5 weeks including mailing time.

Rob
View Quote
Must be nice!  I still haven't received mine yet.  Its a good thing there isn't a lot of really cool stuff out there at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I resubmitted mine on May 1, 2017 and it went pending on 5/12/17.  They told me they have 60 days to approve or deny the applications.
View Quote
Well I'm starting to get worried... 60 days is approaching really quickly for me. Still nothing!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Whew!!!!
Been checking every day for weeks.

5/1/2017 Cashed
6/23/2017 C&R License Received  
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
CC charged 6/26. License arrived 7/31
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#20]
My card was charged on 7/17
License arrived on 8/3

Not bad at all!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally got my license a few weeks ago but forgot to update.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top