BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2017 6:27:43 PM EDT
Stiff and cracking. Needs some TLC.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try something like this:  Riemenwachs

I used something like this on some of my Swiss and other military leather items.

Also, please note that Swiss slings, like many other Swiss military leather items, are supposed to be stiff.  I have a sling that I pulled off of one of the Samco "unissued condition" K31's that they were selling a while back, and it is rigid enough that it can partially support it's own weight if you hold it sideways.  I can post a picture of it if you are curious.

EDIT:  Also, I suggest you read up at the swissrifles.com message board for possibly more extensive information on care for Swiss military leather items.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Armorall
Neets Foot Oil
Hand Lotions
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at products for car leather seats like leather honey, etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Neatsfoot contains salt, which will crystalize and tear apart the leather fibers as the sling flexes, plus it usually leaves a nasty white film on the surface. Mink oil likewise deteriorates leather.

Use Pecard's, Snow Seal, Obernauf's, or the like. They'll condition and protect the leather, but there's nothing that can be done for the cracks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got old baseball gloves (old meaning dad's catcher's mitt that was bought in 1958 or 59) that he used neatsfoot oil on to keep it soft/flexible and you sure as hell can't tell it's 60 years old.  I've also used it on my old 03 Springfield slings.  

Not saying there isn't other stuff that works well, too, but I've never had issues with neatsfoot oil causing leather to crack/shred/fail.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the anecdote, but the advice is there for the taking. Plenty of other products to use that won't harm leather or break the bank, and are even easier to apply, so why bother.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
ive used blackrock on mine. several applications
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ive used blackrock on mine. several applications
View Quote
same here - with all the holsters, slings, helmet liners, scabbards, ect I use about a jar every couple of months. used Pecards before - both have worked very good. Even with regular care leather will simply deteriorate no matter what you use on it. I've had several 100 year old slings  fall apart even with regular care. Its just going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had two that were dried out and covered in mold.

I cleaned them with Ballistol (diluted 2:1 or so) and then painted it on with a cheap paintbrush, liberally. After 24 hours or so I rubbed it in (what was left) and rebrushed, and then let it sit 24 hours or so again, and rubbed it in again. Nothing is going to fix the cracks, but they're very flexible again and the mold is gone. They're darker, though.
View Quote
In the case of mold, general grime and dirtiness, Neatsfoot salts effervescing, etc..., water and dish soap works the best. After drying thoroughly- I set up an oscillating fan nearby. No heat!- treat with your preferred leather treatment. Be sure to monitor that sling for mold growth. Ballistol has nowhere near the detergent effect that typical liquid dish soap has and is not the best choice for leather preservation (although it smells oh so good! ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top