Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2017 4:08:40 AM EDT
TL:DR: Found a 1 of 1020 RCMP-issue No4 Mk1* Long Branch.

Well, it's 1:35AM so technically yesterday....

Took a chance on a local major gun show.  Have pretty much written them off, but figured if it's half what it's billed it might be OK.  It was actually way better than expected.

There was an older gentleman there selling some military stuff.  Didn't have a lot, a fairly small table, but had some nice looking stuff.  A couple Garands, some ammo, nice M1A, I think a couple Mausers and some Springfield bolt guns... which the name just completely vanished from my head as I write this.  Also had a very nice 1918 1911 and a couple other old pistols.  All in good shape.  He didn't say a thing about it, but was wearing a military cap.  I didn't want to be obvious or ask, but I think it had a Marines logo on it.

Anyway, I've been looking for a No4 Mk1 off an on since I started buying my own just about.  I've always liked the aesthetics of them, and admit my younger self took a shining to them from a video game (Day of Defeat).  I'd say I've been looking casually for 15 years, every time I go to a show (rarely), gun shop, pawn, etc.  I've seen a few I came really close to, but for one reason or another decided not to.  Usually I either didn't have the budget, or typically I just didn't find any I really liked.  Ran across several of the No1 Mk3 "grenade launcher" models (technical term) for $79 years ago but never liked those.  Was going to get some of those Savage/"US Property" marked ones from an online dealer over a decade ago when they had a bunch for $279, but never got my C&R.  Even somewhat recently before we left CO I almost bought an Izzy from a local store, but wanted to hold out again for something a little better.

So the gentleman and the show has this really nice looking 1943 No4 Mk1* Longbranch on his table.  I had to wait a bit to look at it, someone else was quite interested.  It was quite nice, numbers-matching (so far).  Stock has some minor dents but no cracking and the finish is good--much cleaner stock than any I've run across.  The bluing is overall very good I'd say.  The bore is bright and shiny.  The rifling looks kind of weak, but it's the two-rifle barrel and I honestly haven't compared them.  The guy says he has shot it several times and it's a good shooter.  I went back and forth a lot, even left the show to return to buy it just before close (after a panic because the show's ATM said I had less than two dollars in my account--my bank's ATM corrected that).  Obviously, I bought it.

I brought it home, and was somewhat curious to a stamp on the side that was just "MP".  I Googled it, but didn't really expect anything.  Turns out, the RCMP had a few of these and stamped them in that manner--but there may be a few fakes floating around.  I found this site:

Linky

It explained the RCMP rifles, that there were about 1k of them, and had some pictures.  The sling on the rifle I have looks kind of like one in the picture, so my interest increased a bit.  I figured there were a lot of those out there, so who knows.  Still could be a fake, though the gentleman I purchased it from never mentioned anything about it being a RCMP rifle.  In one of the comments on that page, someone posted an invoice from the 1960's of the RCMP selling a batch of rifles to Lever Arms, a Canadian gun shop that apparently is still in business (and is selling Russian SKSs for $230!).  I scanned the list of serial numbers briefly, but one of them jumped out at me.  I had read the serial back to the man when I bought the rifle so he could write it on the ticket that would let me out the door.  It looked very familiar, but I figured I was off a number or two.  I dug it back out of the safe and... I'll be damned.  The serial number is one listed in that batch of 89 rifles sold off from RCMP.

I gave the man $495 for it, his tagged price but he wouldn't budge.  He says he'd continue to enjoy shooting it if he didn't get that for it.  I felt it was kind of high, but because they are increasing and because it's literally the nicest one I've come across I felt OK with it.  Prices seem to have gone to this neighborhood on them now from what I've been seeing.  I'm sure people have found nicer, but this one is pretty decent.  Now that I know more of the history of it, I think it's pretty cool and am quite happy with it.  He also had me take his card and told him to make sure and call if I have any trouble with it.  Very nice person, we chatted for a while after I bought it.

Probably CSB, but I thought it was pretty C.  I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow, but I'm tired and the rifle is buried in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds interesting.  I'd love to see pics of it.  

I'm really fond of my No4Mk1.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure the barrel isn't worn out. See my post about my long branch rifle lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top