Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2017 2:39:19 PM EDT
I don't know much about arisakas and was hoping someone could give some input. A local store has two. One is a last ditch and the other is not. I tried looking up Arsenal's and one looks like Nagoya series 22. I'm unsure of the other.

No cleaning rods, dust covers, or other accessories are included. He's asking 250 for the non last ditch and 320 for the last ditch.
Neither have mums, but the numbers I saw on both are matching. The bore on the last ditch looks really good and the other looks about average.

One was marked 7.7 and the other 6.5. I don't know much about these. Is the different chambering common?

Thanks for your help.

I've been keeping an eye out when I go through towns at shops but rarely see any. I really was hoping to find one with a mum but haven't seen one in person. Surplus guns are rare around my area.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the one marked 6.5 a Type 38? Does it have two pressure holes on top of the receiver.
If not, then the dealer has  it mis-marked.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it only had one hole. Ill go back and check. Were there type 38 last ditch rifles?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
99's were all 7,7's....38's were 6,5's....so it was mismarked one way or another...

"Last Ditch" rifles would only be 99's...Plus the Type markings were horizontal across the receiver while 38's were vertical...

38:

Attachment Attached File

99:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
They are both 99s. Thanks for the help. Stocks  appear to be original. Do you think he's on par as far as value goes?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
For numbers matching guns the prices aren't bad...stock finish look original?

A last ditch wouldn't have things like AA sights. monopod, or dust cover...but could have cleaning rod...

The other one, hard to say without knowing maker and series, but $250 is a good price for a numbers matching gun...

This is just MHO...

ETA, you you posted pics with the manufacturer and series info...I can dig up more info later...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
My photo is practically worthless but here's one.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ended up picking up one. Might go back tomorrow for the last ditch. Pretty happy with it as I had about everything I wanted for my WWII rifles except any Japanese ones.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
99's are cool...still relatively cheap in general, and so many makers/variations, you can build a nice collection, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt for a good while....

While you can usually find guns at good prices, if they don't have all the goodies, the secondary market on them is nuts...original monopods, dustcovers, and cleaning rods get spendy, as do the plastic muzzle covers and original slings.

But don't think you need to grab a monopod or dust cover...they did away with them as production went on, so certain series they disappear...so you can have a rear band with the mount for the monopod, but no monopod, and that may be correct for that rifle...so don't make your rifle "wrong" by adding stuff that may not be correct...

I will try to figure what series that gun is, and let you know what it should and shouldn't have...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ended up picking up one. Might go back tomorrow for the last ditch. Pretty happy with it as I had about everything I wanted for my WWII rifles except any Japanese ones.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/210304/IMG-20170330-194156-177650.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/210304/IMG-20170330-194143-177651.JPG
View Quote
Bluing looks nice and the stock is good for an Arisaka (anyone else notice they tend to be more likely to be beat to crap for some reason?). I'd say you done good

But then again I just got my first one a couple weeks ago. Just shot it for the first time...so much fun. Not sure why these don't have the cult following Enfields or Mauser have.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bluing looks nice and the stock is good for an Arisaka (anyone else notice they tend to be more likely to be beat to crap for some reason?). I'd say you done good

But then again I just got my first one a couple weeks ago. Just shot it for the first time...so much fun. Not sure why these don't have the cult following Enfields or Mauser have.
View Quote
Thanks. The other one has been on my mind since I left. I was told 270 would take it home. I've only run across a few in person in the past few years. I need to drive 2-4 hours to get to a gun show. The problem is I don't have a whole lot of time. I like checking things out in person before I buy as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I have noticed that. I assume it's because they loved beating stuff and people with them.

From Ship of Ghosts about an American of Japanese decent who was captured when the Houston was sunk, who was being asked by guards why he wouldn't switch sides:

Fujita asked them why would anyone want to join a military that was busy loosing a world war. That kind of talk got him well-acquainted with their rifle butts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, nice looking rifle. I have one that isn't a last ditch but has a lot rougher, say cruder stock than this one.  It was brought back by my dad.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Ire member a time when you could hardly give those things away, shortly after the war, Jap stuff was considered junk.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ire member a time when you could hardly give those things away, shortly after the war, Jap stuff was considered junk.
View Quote
They were wrong, I haven't owned mine for long, but I am very impressed with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I went back for the last ditch today
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I found a site that helped with manufacturers and series. They are
Tokyo Juki Kogyo Series 27
Kokura Series 22

Any idea what would be correct for the earlier one? AA sights, monopod, dust cover, etc.Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my type 99. Its fun to shoot, accurate, and cheap to reload for. I have heard others call them junk but, they are mistaken. The type 99 is a solid bolt gun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like my type 99. Its fun to shoot, accurate, and cheap to reload for. I have heard others call them junk but, they are mistaken. The type 99 is a solid bolt gun.
View Quote
Yep,  lot of gunsmiths in the 50's and 60's wanted these actions to make big bore sporters with.  The actions are very strong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#19]
So, your earlier rifle is a Kokura Arsenal manufactured Series 22 manufactured late 42 to early 43...

I will double check the accessories it should have base on s/n...if it had a monopod, you can usually see markings on either side of the stock where it was mounted, so that might give you a clue, but most likely it had the AA sights, and of course a cleaning rod...you can get a repro rod, and the parts for the AA sight if needed.

Monopods and dustcovers are pricey even for repro's typically...

I'll try to check on the pod and cover later tonight...

Your last ditch is a Series 27 Toyo Juki Kogyo or TJK....last ditch of course...

Nice pieces for sure...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top