Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 5:32:42 PM EDT
Took my Egyptian FN-49 out to the range today for the first time, shooting PPU 8mm Mauser FMJ BT 198gr.

It absolutely destroyed the brass. This is just a sample but almost every round was dented to hell.

Also after 38 rounds the bolt wouldn't close, I was pretty much done for the day, just went up to see how it shot so I packed it up.  When I got home I found this.

Is the PPU ammo to hot for the FN-49 or is it a gas problem? Can that bolt be repaired, can it be fired without that little piece?

I have not shot a gun in 2 or 3 years because of money and going back to school.  Man was it nice to get to the range again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Look like you need to adjust the gas vent. And I think 150-170 grain bullets will work better 190 are more for bolt actions.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
No super familiar with the FN-49, but recall it has a gas valve that has to be adjusted.  I also remember something about some commercial ammo has a pressure curve that the FN-49 doesn't like, might be wrong and not sure about PPU loading, either way the casings look like the rifle was ejecting pretty violently which makes me think either ammo too hot or gas valve not open enough.  Don't know anything about the bolts, but missing bits makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look like you need to adjust the gas vent. And I think 150-170 grain bullets will work better 190 are more for bolt actions.
View Quote
Not true...

The biggest issue with FN49 rifles is the owners have no clue the gas system is adjustable....or that they need to adjust it.

I have 3 FN49s (1 venny, 1 argie and a Lux)  ALL of them are adjusted to where the brass ejects no more than 5-10ft and the brass is not damaged.

To properly adjust the gas...pull the front top handguard off...  take the gas adjustment valve and turn it to the left (CCW) to open it.  Look down and you will see the "port"...it's open when the valve no longer covers it.

Next step ...load 1 round...from the magazine.  Fire the shot... most likely the bolt won't lock back.  Take the valve and close it one full rotation ~ 6 clicks IIRC. and repeat.  You are looking to have the bolt lock back AND have the empty case within 10ft of you.  Once you get it close to the specs you can then fine tune the valve by a click or two as needed.

If you change brands of ammo you will probably have to adjust the valve again...

New extractors are cheap and that brass isn't destroyed....size it and load it....and shoot it...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

New extractors are cheap and that brass isn't destroyed....size it and load it....and shoot it...
View Quote
Thanks for the great info.

However, that's not the ejector that broke it the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the great info.

However, that's not the ejector that broke it the bolt itself.
View Quote
They are also available....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are also available....
View Quote
Do you know where? I looked around quite a bit last night I could find find bolts for 7 mm and 30.06 but couldn't find any for 8 mm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you know where? I looked around quite a bit last night I could find find bolts for 7 mm and 30.06 but couldn't find any for 8 mm.
View Quote
Sarco...get the .30-06 bolt.

The problem with this is you may not have the correct headspace which will require a change of locking collars...

can you post better pics of your bolt?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sarco...get the .30-06 bolt.

The problem with this is you may not have the correct headspace which will require a change of locking collars...

can you post better pics of your bolt?
View Quote
Yeah, I'll take some more when I get home tonight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
When I had my Egyptian SAFN, I exclusively shot Yugoslav 196 gr. and 185 gr. reloads. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I had my Egyptian SAFN, I exclusively shot Yugoslav 196 gr. and 185 gr. reloads. Never had an issue.
View Quote
Did you use CCI # 41 hard primers for those reloads?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
@Jeremy2171

Here's a better pics of my bolt.  Let me know if you need more.  It's a small chunk of that rail right below the ejector.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#12]
"I" would probably keep shooting that bolt as long as I didn't see any cracks...  that piece broke off right in the corner..probably been cracked there for years.

But you can get another bolt relatively cheap and hope it headspaces...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"I" would probably keep shooting that bolt as long as I didn't see any cracks...  that piece broke off right in the corner..probably been cracked there for years.

But you can get another bolt relatively cheap and hope it headspaces...
View Quote
Thanks a bunch for your help.  I feel the same way about the bolt, but I will keep an eye on it every time I clean it from now on.  I have a gas key on the way and will work on getting it to function better when it gets here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use CCI 200's for my large rifle cartridges- .308, 8mm, and 7.5 French in a FAL's, and FN-49 (since sold), and MAS Mle. 49 series rifles, respectively.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Next time you're at the range, release the bolt on a fresh cartridge and see the dimple the firing pin makes on the primer.  I use the CCI 41 NATO primers for semi-auto milsurps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#17]
What recipe are you guys loading your 8mm fn49's ?
Did you get a chance to adjust your gas valve & test it out?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have my loading setup complete yet so I don't do a lot of loading because I have to use a neighbors stuff and I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet since my gas key got here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Just about any recipe should work as long as you adjust your gas system when first testing.  Start with it open
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Good lookin out Jeremy I'll be sure to open her wide open
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top