Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2017 4:53:59 PM EDT
HERE is the GD thread.

I recieved the rifle today, and it appears the description was less than accurate.

I was told that all numbers matched, but they do not, the bolt and dust cover are different, the front band is the same. I haven't taken it down further to check anything else. There is also quite a lot of pitting that I didn't know about.

There is a coat of oil on it right now as it was pretty dirty.

ETA: @98kguy

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, that sucks, but it doesn't matter, that's a nice Type 99, with early features....hell, as 1srelluc brought up, a real dustcover alone command $150 - $200 nowadays (he said $300...maybe but that seems a bit high to me...).

In any case, it looks like original finish, and it doesn't look sanded...its just a bit on the light side...try to get me a good sharp pic on the left receiver side with the s/n and mark in front of it, and I'll look up the series info for you later on...

I don't remember exactly, but there might be a possibility some early 99's might be matched by assembly number...I know Type 38's were assembly numbered (which means there would be an assembly number on the under side of the receiver, which you can only see if you take it out of the stock...bolt and receiver were matched by those numbers...).

Again, I would still consider it a keeper, nice gun, IMHO...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]

I don't know how to take it apart.

I guess I should research that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking its either a Series 1, or a Series 6....I'll have to check my book, then I can et some details...

ETA Get a shot of the screws in the trigger guard...IF they are still staked, your better off not disturbing them...but it looks like a slightly buggered screw on the front band, so I am guessing its been apart...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Buggered and no longer staked, as expected.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Both on the barrel and receiver.
1 on the bottom of top handguard, Ws or Ms all over the inside of the stock and on the receiver and trigger. Also a 1 behind the recoil lug.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Whats the number on the bolt root?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whats the number on the bolt root?
View Quote
Root?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The number on the underside of the bolt handle...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Same number on the extractor and dust cover.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, so it is a bolt mismatch, but, again, regardless its a good rifle....well worth the price you paid, IMHO....
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK, so it is a bolt mismatch, but, again, regardless its a good rifle....well worth the price you paid, IMHO....
View Quote
That makes me feel better about the purchase. I did contact the individual and politely told him that it wasn't as described. I'm not mad, just a little disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I just let it go, it was still a good deal and nothing good can come from doing anything else.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Pic sucks but I got out some of the related items for a family photo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice family pic....its cool to be able to compare and contrast the major combatants rifles in your own man cave...although now you need a Carcano...

And a Type 38, and a Type 38 carbine, and a Type 44, and a G24T, and a G33/40, and a G98/40....it endless!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice family pic....its cool to be able to compare and contrast the major combatants rifles in your own man cave...although now you need a Carcano...

And a Type 38, and a Type 38 carbine, and a Type 44, and a G24T, and a G33/40, and a G98/40....it endless!
View Quote
I've thought about a carcano, but an M1 carbine, P38 and No1 MkIII sit much higher on the list.

I did pass on a Type 38 carbine last year, it looked almost new but had no mum. $650. I considered buying an MP40 for about $7,000 in 2008 when I had no bills, but decided I couldn't afford it either way. Last I saw they were like $15,000.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice rifle! I have three and none have as nice features
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Shame about the description not being correct.

Stock looks a little shiny though. Maybe it's just the light.

And your lower rear tang screw isn't correct. Not sure what kind of screw has been shoved in there, but the head should fill the hole like the others.

The lower rear tang screw is easy to find. Get an original, not a repro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top