Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 9:46:22 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Been shopping for a Krag for a while now.  Want an original, uncut of course.

Have a guy wants to sell me a good looking one but I was taken aback by the stock.

Its a very light color, like you normally see on the norwegian models, but receiver is marked U.S.

Color is similar to this one :

Think its woods been replaced or did the US have some with whatever that light wood is?  Beach maybe?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, all US Krag stocks were walnut...if its light it was probably sanded like hell, then poly'd....or replaced....
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, all US Krag stocks were walnut...if its light it was probably sanded like hell, then poly'd....or replaced....
View Quote
Thanks brother.  That is what I suspected.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that there were some US Krags that had Italian walnut stocks/handguards. The coloration is noticeably lighter than the usual black walnut most were stocked with.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe that there were some US Krags that had Italian walnut stocks/handguards. The coloration is noticeably lighter than the usual black walnut most were stocked with.
View Quote
I was just going to post this...there are some really light colored Krag sticks out there. I can't tell from the OP's photo but I've seen original Italian walnut that is VERY light colored.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hmm, never saw one, that makes me want to check my Krag books, never realized that if true...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmm, never saw one, that makes me want to check my Krag books, never realized that if true...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit: I misremembered. There was a shortage of cured Black Walnut so Springfield Armory contracted for Italian Walnut. They obtained 33K stock blanks from the NY company Louis Windmuller & Roelker and were used 1899-1901. The info is apparently in Mallory on page 75.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The Italian walnut is lighter colored than the American black walnut but still isnt nearly as light as the picture in the OP. Safe to say that stock has been refinished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top