Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2017 11:15:58 PM EDT
What are your thoughts on a older Ruger mark 1 pistol with tapered barrel and red madalion in the grip?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Decent pistol.  If it's in good condition and comes with the original box there might be some collector's interest.  Magazines are getting a little hard to find.  You understand about the red emblem, right?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Solid guns which can take a lot of wear and abuse.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the 5.5" bull barrels but the moving parts are the same.

I gave one to my youngest son that I bought (used) in 1981 or 82.  It is so old it doesn't even say "Mark 1" on it anywhere.  But it shoots like somebody's high dollar match pistol.  Works like a Ruger (meaning if feeds, fires and ejects every round even when it's dirty after a few hundred rounds - can't say that for many match pistols that it compares to accuracy wise.)

I'm not in the market for a .22 these days, but if I was, an older Ruger would be my top choice.

My family had 4 or 5 of the old ones (none newer than a Mark 1) and they've all been great pistols over the years
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#4]
You understand about the red emblem, right?

No I do not. What about it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
.RUGER STANDARD SEMI-AUTO PISTOL 22LR MADE 1955.(C&R OK).SERIAL#112315,4 3/4" TAPERED BARREL WITH A GOOD BORE.TIGHT ACTION THAT FUNCTIONS FINE.BLACK CHECKERED GRIPS WITH RED RUGER LOGO.COMES WITH ONE 10 ROUND MAGAZINE.

It is on GunBroker. I have a bid for $269

This price high low or about right?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I gave one to my youngest son that I bought (used) in 1981 or 82.  It is so old it doesn't even say "Mark 1" on it anywhere.  But it shoots like somebody's high dollar match pistol.  Works like a Ruger (meaning if feeds, fires and ejects every round even when it's dirty after a few hundred rounds - can't say that for many match pistols that it compares to accuracy wise.)

I'm not in the market for a .22 these days, but if I was, an older Ruger would be my top choice.

My family had 4 or 5 of the old ones (none newer than a Mark 1) and they've all been great pistols over the years
View Quote

Quote from another site.

"The medallion color was changed from red to black as a permanent memorial to the passing, in November 1951 of Bill Ruger's partner Alexander Sturm. In February of 1952 STANDARD PISTOLS (33000 ser, no. range) and MARK I TARGET model (25300 ser. no. ranges) began to be shipped with black grip medallions. Speaking in general terms, all Ruger STANDARD PISTOLS and MARK 1 TARGET models serial numbered under 30000 are refered to as Red Eagle Autos."

Check the serial number and the Blue Book of Gun Values or the like.  That gun might be worth like $500 or something.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll have to check the serial number on that old one of mine.  It had a thumb rest set of checkered wood grips on it when I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The Mk l used a 9 shot magazine.  

But they will accept the Mk ll and later 10 round magazines by moving the button from the left side to the right side.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The 1971 and later Mark I pistols use the "A100" grip frame, and work with unmodified Mark II magazines. The earlier pistols need to have the follower button switched from the left side of the magazine to the right side. It's no big deal either way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
only the models with adjustable target sights were designated as mark1, the rest are standard models.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My Mark I, that I bought new in 1970, was the only one of the series that had a decent trigger pull right out of the box. My Mark II, III, and IV all needed work to lighten the trigger. I think the only change I made to my Mark I was to replace the "holster-ripper" front sight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a birth year, mid 60s one that has been shot once (by me). I prefer the 22/45 mark 2.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
You will never have enough ammo to break it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.  My wife bought me a used Standard back in '87 shot it up until a couple of years ago when I passed it down to my son and I bought myself a new MKIII Target model.

The Standard had many thousands of rounds through it and is very accurate to this day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one in 1975 in an Army PX for $56.  I still have it.  Well, my son has it at his house.  I guess it's his now.  But, I wish Ruger would make one again but with all the upgrades except for the tapered barrel and fixed sights.  There is something to be said for a simple dependable pistol.
kwg
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top