Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2017 10:35:49 PM EDT
Cheap gunsmith special

How intact are they? Some reviews on the site say they are missing parts, others say they are coming intact.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue how intact they are although it would look good as a wall hanger.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No clue how intact they are although it would look good as a wall hanger.
View Quote
Definitely not interested in a wall hanger. I want a rifle to sit under the back seat for shooting at stuff that needs holed in it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Definitely not interested in a wall hanger. I want a rifle to sit under the back seat for shooting at stuff that needs holed in it.
View Quote

Looks like for $180 you can get one in good condition which while worn should have all the parts except the cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Looks like for $180 you can get one in good condition which while worn should have all the parts except the cleaning rod.
View Quote
I'm a cheap bastard. I'd love to get one for cheaper than a box of tacos. Granted, a pretty big box of tacos...
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm a cheap bastard. I'd love to get one for cheaper than a box of tacos. Granted, a pretty big box of tacos...
View Quote
$130 vs $180 and the $180 shouldn't be missing any hard to find parts.    I think the cheap bastard in me would value my time enough to pay the $50 more and not take the risk on parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Ever since I've been shopping guns, those things are always some form of rough.  (The .308 versions have been cautionary on 7.62x51 pressures.)  I'd call and talk to them see if they'll work with you on what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I could be wrong,  but I think these are the Spanish Mausers that hit the market after Samco's assets were auctioned off.

A local shop purchased 55 of them from a distributor and did a good write-up of their experience:

http://preciseshooter.com/blog/SpanishMausersFromSamco.aspx
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are 7mm, and Spanish that's why no one wants them.

It cost more than the rifle is worth to buy ammo.
View Quote
Make your own ammo..

My Venny needs a lot of it...

Start with 30-06 brass and a RCBS form die...

anneal and then load...

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I roll my own. I have access to 10 cent surplus bullets, so ammo costs me about 27 cents a pop.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I roll my own. I have access to 10 cent surplus bullets, so ammo costs me about 27 cents a pop.
View Quote
I got my 162grn AMAXs for about .27ea if you get it shooting well with milsurp...try some quality bullets  :)
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got my 162grn AMAXs for about .27ea if you get it shooting well with milsurp...try some quality bullets  :)
View Quote
Thanks for the tip, but I don't really do bench shooting other than a few specialized setups. I may try them someday, but not anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I could be wrong,  but I think these are the Spanish Mausers that hit the market after Samco's assets were auctioned off.

A local shop purchased 55 of them from a distributor and did a good write-up of their experience:

http://preciseshooter.com/blog/SpanishMausersFromSamco.aspx
View Quote

Yeah. These are Samco dregs. And by dregs, we really mean dregs.

These are going to be in absolutely horrific shape, will likely require a good bit of work to get back into shooting shape, and when you do, you have a 7mm Mauser.

You'd be better off calling up Omega Weapons Systems and getting one of their extra cheap Type 53 carbines.

If you're set on a Mauser go on Gunborker and snipe a cheap Turk. They show up all the time, often in the $200 range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#14]
tag for interest.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

N/M

See you have ammo covered.

I think the suggestion the look at the complete rifle is a good one. Depending what is missing, parts might be expensive and hard to come by.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is this a stash you have or are you buying them somewhere for $.10?

If buying, I'd be thankful for a link via IM.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is this a stash you have or are you buying them somewhere for $.10?

If buying, I'd be thankful for a link via IM.
View Quote
Well, we bought 2,300 rounds of 7mm Mauser surplus for $400 from some seller in Florida. I think he has a dealer's account over on AKfiles. Turns out, about 90% of them are duds. No kaboom. Supposedly, our purchase came from the bottom of the crate, and might have had some water damage. He didn't want to pay to ship back all that weight, so to make things right he sent us 500 rounds of surplus 308. These only had a 10% dud rate. At this point, we just gave up on it. We figured that if the 308 was worth 200 bucks, then all the Mauser rounds were worth the remaining 200. So, we bought a bullet puller and we've been pulling  the surplus bullets ever since. Definitely a lesson learned that if a deal seems to good to be true, it probably is.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, we bought 2,300 rounds of 7mm Mauser surplus for $400 from some seller in Florida. I think he has a dealer's account over on AKfiles. Turns out, about 90% of them are duds. No kaboom. Supposedly, our purchase came from the bottom of the crate, and might have had some water damage. He didn't want to pay to ship back all that weight, so to make things right he sent us 500 rounds of surplus 308. These only had a 10% dud rate. At this point, we just gave up on it. We figured that if the 308 was worth 200 bucks, then all the Mauser rounds were worth the remaining 200. So, we bought a bullet puller and we've been pulling  the surplus bullets ever since. Definitely a lesson learned that if a deal seems to good to be true, it probably is.
View Quote
Gotcha.
Pulling 2300 rounds would suck, but for .10 projectiles, like you, I'd find the time. 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought two. one was missing the front site blade and protector and the second one was complete as far as I can tell.

I bought them to do the rhineland 45acp conversions. Both mine still had crested receivers so I was kinda happy about that. Makes me feel bad for drilling them if I do.

I also bought one of the complete ones a while back and gave it to my girlfriend's dad as a 50th bday present awhile back. It actually was much nicer than expected, great bore, crest on receiver. Its a decent shooter.

I have no idea why I have so many 93 mauser actions. I have also have one stripped '98 dated action and a complete cavalry carbine that is neat. I likely have brain damage. I think the antique action I want to do a 257 Roberts build.

They just keep showing up for cheap.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gotcha.
Pulling 2300 rounds would suck, but for .10 projectiles, like you, I'd find the time. 
View Quote

Believe me, it's not particularly fun. But I have the rounds, I might as well make use of them. I'm also saving the cleanest cases among those I disassemble, just in case I ever start reloading berdan primers. The rest will either be given to a friend who hauls scrap metal for extra cash, or I'll find some other way to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a "nice" one and a gunsmith special. The gunsmith special was actually in better condition. It has a small crack on the upper handguard, but the rest of the rifle is great. My "nice" rifle is cosmetically rough. Had to replace the barrel band springs due to rust, along with a few other small parts. The stock is also in worse condition compared to the gunsmith special. So yeah, it's pretty much a lottery.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought 1000 rounds of Ecuadorian 8mm in the heyday for $44.00.  Almost all were duds.  I pulled them apart and found corrosion on the bottom of the steel jacketed bullets telling me that moisture had somehow leaked into the powder.  I the bullets them in the tumbler for a while and now have a pretty good stash of 8mm, 190ish grain plinking bullets for a little over four cents a round.  The powder made good lawn fertilizer and the cases went into the scrap brass pile after soaking them in oil.

At the time I thought I'd been ripped off, but considering the price of 8mm ammo or bullets these days I'm feeling much better.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought 1000 rounds of Ecuadorian 8mm in the heyday for $44.00.  Almost all were duds.  I pulled them apart and found corrosion on the bottom of the steel jacketed bullets telling me that moisture had somehow leaked into the powder.  I the bullets them in the tumbler for a while and now have a pretty good stash of 8mm, 190ish grain plinking bullets for a little over four cents a round.  The powder made good lawn fertilizer and the cases went into the scrap brass pile after soaking them in oil.

At the time I thought I'd been ripped off, but considering the price of 8mm ammo or bullets these days I'm feeling much better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We choose to see it as a reasonable deal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm getting one from here: http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=1304

The price is just a bit less for the risk of getting a badly cracked rust bucket.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm getting one from here: http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=1304

The price is just a bit less for the risk of getting a badly cracked rust bucket.
View Quote
THANKS FOR THE LINKAGE!!!! 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed. That's awesome.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#27]
a thread at calguns has some nice pictures of a cleanup of one of these:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=19860398&postcount=48
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
They also have "West Virginia Specials" for $99.  Same rifles, but stocks were hopelessly trashed and they had some sporter stocks laying around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw these. Half tempted to buy one just as wall art after cleaning it up...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm very temped to order one of the functional ones and try to halfway restore it. I think it would be a cool project.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a big fan of this type of military surplus bolt action, but after I read the review posted earlier from preciseshooter, I would not consider these any sort of a good buy. I would much prefer to find a better condition bubba'd rifle from a gun show, or even a commercial Mauser rifle like those from Interarms, Whitworth, or Sears Model 50.

Much as I like my Mosins and Mausers, I have put more money into getting some of them shootable than a decent used sporter. My favorite rifle is a fantastic sporter conversion of a Winchester M1917, done decades and decades ago. So neat! The heart of a military rifle with a sleek stock and a scope installed by a talented gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine arrived from the Old Western Scrounger today. I had very low expectations, so I can say I think I'm happy with it.

There appears to be something wrong with the trigger/cocking operation as I cannot dry fire the rifle. The action appears a little loose in the stock, and the front sight seems to be canted.

EDIT: After disassembling the rifle and cleaning the bolt a bit I can now dry fire it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm going to clean it up and see if I can't turn it into a shooter. If not, It'll be a good wall hanger.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Just a few more pictures, as unboxed. I'd like to mention that it was not packaged in a Samco box as some I've seen on youtube. OWS must have opened them up to hand pick through them.

The only crack I can find is in the handguard.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#34]
The first thing I would do is disassemble the bolt and make sure all the parts are there and put together correctly / unbroken. And go from there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Is there enough meat to thread these?

I doubt it but figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is there enough meat to thread these?

I doubt it but figured I'd ask.
View Quote
Maybe if you pull the front sight off.

Here's with and without the front sight. Took mine off because it was canted. Replacing it. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Maybe if you pull the front sight off.

Here's with and without the front sight. Took mine off because it was canted. Replacing it. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389392/IMG-1208-179366.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389392/IMG-1207-179367.JPG
View Quote
Meh, too much trouble.

By the time I have the front site moved back and the barrel threaded, I could buy a new gun.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

I'm still working through some front sight alignment issues, but it's come out fairly well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top