Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 4:28:35 PM EDT
These pictures are of my friend's cz-27. I have read up on these a bit and think this particular example is post war, but I'm wondering if anyone here can identify when and where it was made.

The finish looks like polished stainless, but could be nickle. The wooden grip looks original.

The markings on the top of the stippled slide are: CESKA ZBROJOVKA ASvBRAZE and then the serial number.

The only marking that is hard to see is of a "Scottish lion" which is located on the frame, top of the slide and barrel.

The numbers/letter along the front strap is not the serial number and unfortunately the magazine does not numbers match.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Doing a bit more reading and come to find out that is not a CZ-27 (as indicated on the slide), but rather a CZ-24 that was made in 1927.

Now to find some place that has a listing of the front strap designations ... which I understand to be military coding.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
that was definitely nickle plated by someone at some point

also not a scottish lion - its a czech lion which I believe was used as a proof mark

the pistol was made in Czechoslovakia sometime between 1924-1927
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a CZ-24 in .380 ACP.  Accepted by the Czech army in 1928 and assigned to the 4th Infantry Regiment as article #1581 based in Hradec Karlove which is in north central Czech.  No doubt captured and used by German after 1938, then chromed by somebody here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you fury413rb.

I also understand that the CZ-27 takes .32acp and the CZ-24 takes .380acp.

This might explain why the pistol would fire, but not extract .32acp. (I am unfamiliar with both calibers).
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow pgaplayerless!!

I'm a slow typer so imagine my surprise when I refreshed the page to see your post!

Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow pgaplayerless!!

I'm a slow typer so imagine my surprise when I refreshed the page to see your post!

Thank you very much!
View Quote

No problem
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bit generous of an assertion, lacking a Waffenamt.
View Quote

unless reworked by depot with something replaced, it wouldn't be marked. By 1939 all of Czech was under Nazi Germany control and all their used weapons were rolled into German units.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

unless reworked by depot with something replaced, it wouldn't be marked. By 1939 all of Czech was under Nazi Germany control and all their used weapons were rolled into German units.
View Quote

I'll concur with this, weapons captured and re-used, unless going through a depot, would not be specially marked typically....

You can be sure the Germans used whatever captured pistols they picked up....and a CZ-24 likely got issued to German forces somewhere down the line....or at least "liberated" and used...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not a lot of .380 floating about in the German supply chain, for what that's worth.  But regardless, while I don't question the likelihood of German acquisition for a firearm of that vintage and geography,  "no doubt" is a bit overly definitive for me.  YMMV.  *shrug*
View Quote

When Germans "liberated" these pistols they also "liberated" the entire Czechoslovak military supply chain. There was plenty of ammo to go around.  Not to mention the Czech plants to produce it.  Czechs gave in without fighting after France and UK broke their military assurances to CSR.  Literally everything that was in the Czech military inventory, like this pistol demostrates, became German property overnight.

Pistols especially were in very short supply and high demand with the Germans.  Plenty of CZ24s are found in battlefield digs of the eastern front.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top