Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2017 1:43:18 PM EDT
I have enough surplus 7.62x51 where I don't think I'd ever need to, but can I shoot 308 Winchester in this?  Can it handle the difference in pressure?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I am no authority on this subject, but I can't see any problem.

I have a M1895 Chilean Mauser which was rebarreled to 7.62 NATO.  I have shot it with a variety of surplus and a couple of commercial .308 loads.

No problems so far.

As I understand it, the main difference between 7.62 NATO and .308 is that the .308 brass is thinner.  Might be a problem in some machine guns with less than ideal case head support, but shouldn't be a problem in a bolt action.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I have a M1895 Chilean Mauser which was rebarreled to 7.62 NATO.  I have shot it with a variety of surplus and a couple of commercial .308 loads.
View Quote

.308" has a bit more bolt thrust than 7x57mm Mauser.  Watch your bolt lugs.

IIRC, someone was shooting an older Mauser(small ring, like yours) w/ a round that was considerably overpowered for it, and the receiver let go, letting the bbl cartwheel down the firing line, and killing the person it struck in the head.  Will have to ask someone else for confirmation of that story.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IIRC, someone was shooting an older Mauser(small ring, like yours) w/ a round that was considerably overpowered for it, and the receiver let go, letting the bbl cartwheel down the firing line, and killing the person it struck in the head.  Will have to ask someone else for confirmation of that story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have a M1895 Chilean Mauser which was rebarreled to 7.62 NATO.  I have shot it with a variety of surplus and a couple of commercial .308 loads.

Several years since I shot it, but no problems.  Most of what I shot were cast bullet reloads, at modest pressures, so there should be no problems there.

This was a Chile military conversion, so I suspect after 6 decades of 7x57, and a few more decades of 7.62, the weak receivers have been weeded out.

Mine has had an honorable semi-retirement for the last decade, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it on a cool day.

I also had a similar Spanish M1916 rifle, and now have its M98 brother.  No problems there, either.

Not saying it can't happen, but at least 2 countries have done this conversion on the older action, and the M98 has been rebarelled to 7.62 several times also.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pressure is my concern more than headspace (thanks though, Raf).  A situation as described above is my concern.

I won't shoot 308 through my FR-8 because, maybe internet lore, but I've read enough warnings in the 10 years or so I've had it not to.

Was wondering if the same applied to the Kar98.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pressure is my concern more than headspace (thanks though, Raf).  A situation as described above is my concern.

I won't shoot 308 through my FR-8 because, maybe internet lore, but I've read enough warnings in the 10 years or so I've had it not to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FR-8 and Izzy Mausers are fine. Both are built off large ring Gew 98 spec'ed receivers. My izzy is going strong after YEARS of shooting nothing but Commercial Winchester White Box.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Think of all the big caliber guns built on a 98 action....   .308 isn't a concern.. IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Kar98 of WWI (One) is not the same rifle as the 98k of WWII (Two).

The Kar98 is not a good choice for .308 for reasons to detailed to type on my phone.

98k is GTG with .308.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FR-8 and Izzy Mausers are fine. Both are built off large ring Gew 98 spec'ed receivers. My izzy is going strong after YEARS of shooting nothing but Commercial Winchester White Box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the Spanish FR-7 that were built from 93 Mausers that should not be shot with .308 Win or 7.62 NATO.   They were chambered in 7.62 CETME.  On a phone so Google the caliber for details.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is the Spanish FR-7 that were built from 93 Mausers that should not be shot with .308 Win or 7.62 NATO.   They were chambered in 7.62 CETME.  On a phone so Google the caliber for details.
View Quote
The FR8s were built on Spanish M43 Large Ring Mausers. They're fine. The FR7 is not what I was talking about.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not seeing the pics...
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Random question, did Israel get some of these from France?

There is a stylized "f" serial number that looks french to me.  It's absolutely not Hebrew.

Will post a pic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice and I bet uncommon!

that 6 point star is known as a french acceptance stamp IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]

The 'f' is part of the serial number.

1 to 9999

1a to 9999a

Repeat through z, then aa.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The FR8s were built on Spanish M43 Large Ring Mausers. They're fine. The FR7 is not what I was talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are saying the same thing.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#23]
IRC there was a problem with Spanish (?) Mausers, they used a round that was dimensionally identical to the 7.62x51 but considerably lower pressure loading.
Anyone else remember what country it was or if there were other .308 rifles affected?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The 'f' is part of the serial number.

1 to 9999

1a to 9999a

Repeat through z, then aa.
View Quote

Gotcha, but French, right?  There's a couple peend out marks, I'm assuming (but can't say for sure) eagles/swastikas.

It is also marked, by the sight with "37"  
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IRC there was a problem with Spanish (?) Mausers, they used a round that was dimensionally identical to the 7.62x51 but considerably lower pressure loading.
Anyone else remember what country it was or if there were other .308 rifles affected?
View Quote

I thought it was the FR-8 (Spain), but am gathering from the posts above that I am mistaken.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sigh..... 7.62x51 CETME is a myth that just won't die. The FR8 was and is safe in 7.62 NATO. The Guardia Civil kept them in active service until the mid 1980s. The FR7 was built off Modelo 1916 Spanish Small Ring Mausers and they have an issue. Hell, Spain adopted 7.62 NATO before NATO did.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sigh..... 7.62x51 CETME is a myth that just won't die. 
View Quote
exactly..just like "mg only ammo"
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
 Hell, Spain adopted 7.62 NATO before NATO did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Hell, Spain adopted 7.62 NATO before NATO did.

From 1953 prototype cartridges begin to take place in 7.62×51mm. In 1955 this caliber is adopted and soon begins to be mass-produced for the new CETME rifle. This cartridge does not meet NATO standards and is called 7.62×51mm Spanish. In the '60s, quality improves and become known as 7.62×51mm NATO-SPANISH. Only since 1988 cartridges produced in Spain are known as NATO–REGULAR and meet the specifications of this organization.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  The Kar98 of WWI (One) is not the same rifle as the 98k of WWII (Two).

The Kar98 is not a good choice for .308 for reasons to detailed to type on my phone.

98k is GTG with .308.
View Quote

The Kar 98A (1st WW) was a 98 bolt on a small ring action, which I think gives rise to hoop strength issues?

The GEW 98 (1st WW) was a 98 bolt on a large ring action, and was shortened between the wars to become the Kar 98k of the 2nd WW.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Random question, did Israel get some of these from France?

There is a stylized "f" serial number that looks french to me.  It's absolutely not Hebrew.

Will post a pic.
View Quote

Based on IDF arms procurement through the 1960s, it's certainly possible.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/15145139/10762656/kar%2098%200041.JPG

Years ago I bought an old Paul Jager sporter made from one of these actions. It was a 257 Roberts with a crappy bore.

I took the barrel off and found out it had large ring diameter threads. To add to the danger it had been scrubbed so even more metal was removed.

I'll probably make it into a 22LR someday.
View Quote

You have no sense of adventure, sir.  .458" SOCOM will fit.  

Why not make it a 12 ga?  B/c if you don't do it, your son will lose your files, and your granddaughter will find the action, and think - I wonder why granddaddy bored this out for a large ring bbl?  Well, HE must've known what he was doing - oh, and there's this .458" SOCOM +1.5" bbl that's on special @ ProMag!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#33]
My Izzy

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/15145139/10762656/kar%2098%200041.JPG

Years ago I bought an old Paul Jager sporter made from one of these actions. It was a 257 Roberts with a crappy bore.

I took the barrel off and found out it had large ring diameter threads. To add to the danger it had been scrubbed so even more metal was removed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Kar 98A (1st WW) was a 98 bolt on a small ring action, which I think gives rise to hoop strength issues?

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/15145139/10762656/kar%2098%200041.JPG

Any Paul Jaeger is worth $1k.  An interesting version on a less common action such as a KAR98 could bring quite a bit more.

KAR98s don't have a hoop strength issue.  They would stretch at the base of the threads due to an undercut machined in that location.

Late production KARs and post war Polish versions eliminated this cut and the (rare) problem was eliminated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Gotcha, but French, right?  There's a couple peend out marks, I'm assuming (but can't say for sure) eagles/swastikas.

It is also marked, by the sight with "37"  
View Quote

No, the "f" is original German, its just German script....some of these letters can be really hard to decipher what they actually are...I started a like 4 page thread trying to figure out a letter suffix on one of mine on a 98k board....
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
that 6 point star is known as a french acceptance stamp IIRC.
View Quote

The five pointed star is a French stamp.

The six pointed star (aka "Star of David") is an Israeli stamp.  It has the Hebrew letter "nun" inside the star.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top