Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
Okay, so I've had this Mosin Nagant 91/30 for years and the headspace is so tight that it's next to impossible to chamber a round. I finally got around to buying some bolt heads off of the EE to see if I can get one to work. Both of the new bolt heads work, and I can easily chamber a round with them. But here's my dilemma, I don't have any headspace gauges and frankly, I'm not too keen on trusting this rifle without measuring it somehow. Is there anyone here that wouldn't mind letting another arfcommer borrow their gauges?

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
By the time you figure in shipping to and from, your 1/4-1/2 way to just buying a full set.  
They are only $40-50 for the full set of Go,No Go, Field, honestly you really just need a field. So you can get that for like $20.

You could Also use the old tape on a case method, seeing as your just checking the distance from the face of the rim to the back of the case. You just need to manage to make a Field Gage which most places have around .072-.075" thickness depending on the manufacturer, So just stick some tape on the back of a case until your near that range, and assume it will compress a little, so if anything it would be ok to be a couple thousands over, and test it. Or check your washers, some people have found washers that were the right thickness and just used those.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I just don't have the scratch justify that cost for a Mosin.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Ghetto headspace gauge.
Round in the chamber, stack masking tape on the bolt face until you can't lock the bolt in.
1-3 deep, I wouldn't be scared to stick my face behind it.
4+ No Bueno.

Once you have fired it with good brass cases, inspect for warning signs on the brass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd let you borrow mine, if I knew where they are. Haven't seen them in a couple years. They're right next to the .303 guages, I think...
Meanwhile, pony up one lousy sawbuck to Amazon, or prepare for "cheap charlie" catcalls.
Mosin-Nagant Field Gauge
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd let you borrow mine, if I knew where they are. Haven't seen them in a couple years. They're right next to the .303 guages, I think...
Meanwhile, pony up one lousy sawbuck to Amazon, or prepare for "cheap charlie" catcalls.
Mosin-Nagant Field Gauge
View Quote

Thanks anyway
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ghetto headspace gauge.
Round in the chamber, stack masking tape on the bolt face until you can't lock the bolt in.
1-3 deep, I wouldn't be scared to stick my face behind it.
4+ No Bueno.

Once you have fired it with good brass cases, inspect for warning signs on the brass.
View Quote

I may try this, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top