Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 11:23:39 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm completely new to buying/collecting C&R guns. Could y'all help me out and take a look at this enfield and tell me a little about it? Is it worth the money?

Thanks!
Ryan

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/591636167
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems a high. About $400-450 would be what I would go highest. Way too high for "buy it now

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Terrible butt-stock on it

I'd pass at that price.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#3]
"No markings on the receiver"
Pass.  Definitely not Factory New.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys! That's the kind of info I wanted to know. As far as enfields go, what would be considered the "best" ?
Is there a particular manufacturer that's better than all the rest? I've kinda go my eye on no.4 my1's right now.
And lastly, how important are matching serial numbers in general?? I'd like to start a decent little collection, but I intend to shoot them too.

Thanks,
Ryan
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't say anything about current value, I don't know.
But I do love SMLEs and that one looks real purdy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know that any particular manufacturer is better than others.  Matching serial numbers are very important from a collectability standpoint.  Plus, if someone swapped out bolts they may not have checked headspace and installed the correct bolt head (although it's a good idea to check headspace anyway on old rifles).
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Most No. 4 Mk 1 Enfield parts are not marked with serial numbers.  Some are marked with a manufacturing code, and some had serial numbers applied on some parts after they left the factory.  The rear sight in the picture is from a BSA manufactured rifle.  The magazine is from a Savage manufactured rifle. The number on the stock in the one picture suggests a BSA manufactured rifle.  The receiver doesn't show any markings in the picture, so you can't identify the manufacturer.

"US Property" marked rifles made by Savage are one exception.  Savage marked almost all of the parts with their manufacturing mark "S".  However, without serial numbers it's hard to say they would all be original to the rifle.

Pass.  This one is a mix-master at best.  It wasn't wrapped at the factory.  Likely it was wrapped when it was put in storage.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Check over at Allans Armory. They have some Enfields in stock now and seem to be truthful and honest with reasonable prices
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with what was said above. The Buy It Now price of $650 is way too high. Personally, I would not add this to my collection regardless of the price.

Red flags:
1. "No markings on the receiver." WTF does this mean? Where is the serial number?
2. Arsenal repair on the buttstock.
3. "Weedon repair" stamp (the "W" within a star).
4. No indication of the condition of the bore.
5. No indication that the number stamped on the bolt handle matches that on the receiver.

The last two are things I look for, first and foremost.

The manufacturer does make a difference. In terms of fit and finish, and general quality, the North American-made No. 4's (Savage and Long Branch) are thought to be better than the products of the three British factories. We have no idea where this one was made.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't say anything about current value, I don't know.
But I do love SMLEs and that one looks real purdy.
View Quote

No. 4 Mk 1 is not an SMLE.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the vendor you seek;

http://www.bdlltd.com/Home.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top