Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2016 9:10:33 PM EDT
So I have two Mosin Nagants and a UK59 machine gun barrel that has been rethreaded for a Mosin action. I want to rebarrel one of them for the heavy barrel.

My first Mosin is an all matching Tula M91/30 that I rarely shoot, and the second is a mixmaster M44. I enjoy firing the mixmaster M44 much more, but am unsure about doing anything to the M91/30 since it's all matching. So, which should I do the rebarrel on?

As for the rebarrel project itself, I haven't decided my ultimate goal. With such a heavy barrel it would be ideal for a scoped precision build and a bent bolt... but I'm also considering having the barrel turned down some to a straight bull profile and having iron sights installed and the muzzle threaded for a sort of guide gun.

Honestly I wish I had grabbed one of the bottom barrel Chinese Mosins a few years back to use for this project, but all the good deals seem to be gone now.

As a side note, I am planning on rebarreling a Steyr M95 to 7.62x54r in the future. Depending on what I choose to do with this project will determine what I do with that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither. Find yourself a mosin that bubba already ruined that way you are spending less money on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither. Find yourself a mosin that bubba already ruined that way you are spending less money on it.
View Quote

Well that's kinda the thing, I spent $100 on the 91/30 and $150 on the M44. And ever Mosin I've seen recently has been for $250 and up! Bubbas somehow seem to "add value" on top of that with cheap scopes, picatinny rails, and ugly stocks. Basically, the market is just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well that's kinda the thing, I spent $100 on the 91/30 and $150 on the M44. And ever Mosin I've seen recently has been for $250 and up! Bubbas somehow seem to "add value" on top of that with cheap scopes, picatinny rails, and ugly stocks. Basically, the market is just ridiculous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are both worth bit more than that now. Get yourself one of those hacked up "fincub" mosins that are worthless collectible wise.  Should be $150.

Here's an example http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567814867

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
As the first post said find a molested one . I see them all the time . I have 3 which were all cheap and ugly . 1 is now 16 inches , the other 2 are stripped and 1 is getting a turned down Maxim barrel threaded for a suppressor and modernized . I still need some small parts but I am close . sadly all are hex's that came from  Roses and were 91's before the abuse .
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Sell the tula and buy a Bubba. Probably come out 100 bucks ahead.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They are both worth bit more than that now. Get yourself one of those hacked up "fincub" mosins that are worthless collectible wise.  Should be $150.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, that is disgusting.

How can somebody do that ? He's probably proud as hell of his ''creation'' while the rest of us are losing our lunch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Here you go!  Don't molest those two you already have.  Copes is selling receivers for $34.99!

Mosin Nagant 91/30 Stripped 7.62x54r ROUND Receiver

Matt
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Mosin bolts and stocks are currently selling for prices I would not have expected just a couple years ago.

I bought a complete M44 stock/hardware with a cleaning rod and a bolt yesterday for cheap. I sold the bolt today for $70.00.

Looks like the M44 stock/rod will fetch near $100.00.

Crazy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coworker of mine used to have one of those-said he wished he'd never sold it. I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here you go!  Don't molest those two you already have.  Copes is selling receivers for $34.99!

Matt
View Quote

Oh you son of a gun, you just had to post that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Matt
View Quote

That's what I was going to recommend. I got one last month for a heavy barrel build and it's actually very nice. With all of the required parts to complete the receiver I'm only in it for $130. I couldn't bring myself to hack up a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Wrong thread to ask that question. Obious answer is neither, prices on those rifles have more then doubled in the past 5-10 years. Better off going with the stripped reciver or picking up a bubud one and working from there. Presonaly would go with the stripped, as I have seen videos of guys useing 12ft cheaterbars to break the barrels loose before.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wrong thread to ask that question. Obious answer is neither, prices on those rifles have more then doubled in the past 5-10 years. Better off going with the stripped reciver or picking up a bubud one and working from there. Presonaly would go with the stripped, as I have seen videos of guys useing 12ft cheaterbars to break the barrels loose before.
View Quote

I would get a bubbaed one. Having all of the other parts is way handy . I have unscrewed three Mosin barrels . 2 were easy the third free with a little heat
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I ended up going with one of the Copes stripped receivers. This way I won't have to hassle with removing the barrel and I struck out on finding any cheap bubba'd rifles locally. Still need to pick up the other parts and send the barrel out for reprofiling and threading. Working on a garage workbench now so I'll have the space for all the work.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#16]
So what's the date and manufacturer of the receiver?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what's the date and manufacturer of the receiver?
View Quote

I don't know yet, still waiting on it to come in. I do see that they just listed Tula receivers separately and I probably would have gone for one of those for $5 more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Was finally able to pick up the receiver today. The receiver has been scrubbed of markings besides the import marks and serial number, however I did find an arrow in a triangle beneath the rear tang making it from an Izhevsk manufactured gun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Was finally able to pick up the receiver today. The receiver has been scrubbed of markings besides the import marks and serial number, however I did find an arrow in a triangle beneath the rear tang making it from an Izhevsk manufactured gun.
View Quote

That and a date are all it will have usually , most of the other Mosin marks are usually on the barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top