Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2016 2:17:35 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes.

I have the opportunity to buy several M1 carbine magazines from an individual. These mags are wrapped in brown oil paper or cosmoline and appear to be original USGI mags. The only problem I can find is they are not stamped to show what manufacture made them. Was it a common practice for manufactures to produce magizines without a stamp? Are these mags most likely a knock off?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Back when I had an M1 carbine, I recall there being a single letter stamped on the back of the magazines, like an L or a U. It was just the one letter, no other markings.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
All USGI 15 round mags will have a letter code.  Examples would be AI, II, SY-B, etc.  

If there are no markings, they are something other than USGI.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Well you guys have confirmed my suspicion. These are not USGI mags. All of the mags I bought in past years have a manufacturing stamp on them. Think I will take good advice and pass on these.
My source of good dependable USGI mags dried up and I have been looking for a new supplier. Ran across a good deal on 30 carbine ammo and figured why not get a few new mags too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on the price, they might be worth buying anyway. All of the Korean-made 15rd magazines I've handled and used have functioned fine.

USGI magazines in wrap should be avoided anyway. The wrap held in moisture and many of them are badly rusted underneath.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top