Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 4:45:06 PM EDT
From the CMP sales email:

To all CMP customers:

Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The new limit of eight M1 Garands goes into effect immediately and any customer who has purchased over eight will not be allowed to purchase more M1 Garands until 1 Jan., 2017. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
From the CMP sales email:

To all CMP customers:

Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The new limit of eight M1 Garands goes into effect immediately and any customer who has purchased over eight will not be allowed to purchase more M1 Garands until 1 Jan., 2017. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year.
View Quote

Good news really, search on gunbroker and you will find number of people that are selling multiple Garands at a time at $1k and all of them still have the CMP tag dated just few months ago.  With this limit, it will stretch the diminishing supply to more people
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess the 3-4 old guys with a booth at our local gun show are out of a business now. They seem to have a steady supply of rack grade M1s that never drys up.  Wonder where they have getting them?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
So how do I buy one?  What club should I join?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds good to me. This is the first time I've ever bought more than one in a year (except when the Carbines came out) and I don't sell mine.  Personally,  I'd rather them go to end users than "flippers"... although 8 in a year still seems high to me in that regard.  
View Quote

I really think 3 would have been better. I would like to look at their records, I'll bet 80% of their orders were from 5% of their customers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Director of operations at one time stated that its only around 1% of people who buy rifles order more than one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Director of operations at one time stated that its only around 1% of people who buy rifles order more than one.
View Quote

Sure see a lot of them on tables at gun shows for it ti be 1%, but if he said so.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother found a guy who had bought over 350 Garands in a year . This is where the problems are . I seriously doubt a guy has over 300 Garands at home
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I really think 3 would have been better. I would like to look at their records, I'll bet 80% of their orders were from 5% of their customers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds good to me. This is the first time I've ever bought more than one in a year (except when the Carbines came out) and I don't sell mine.  Personally,  I'd rather them go to end users than "flippers"... although 8 in a year still seems high to me in that regard.  

You'd be very wrong.  Orest, when he was still around, stated that the number of people buying multiple rifles was very small compared to the overall number of rifles sold.  I think he gave a percentage and I was very shocked.  I'm good with whatever and have never maxed out, but people still seem to think that the purpose of the CMP is to make sure everyone gets a rifle.  That is not their purpose and they have stated before that the sooner they sell out of rifles, the sooner they can get on with their main objectives.  These will be gone very soon.  I think they stated a few months back that they wouldn't make it through next year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My brother found a guy who had bought over 350 Garands in a year . This is where the problems are . I seriously doubt a guy has over 300 Garands at home
View Quote

Through the CMP?  If so, how?  I am guessing the guy is FOS, unless he was using straw purchasers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Through the CMP?  If so, how?  I am guessing the guy is FOS, unless he was using straw purchasers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've had the dozen limit for quite a while iirc but even 3-4 guys ordering a dozen rifles a year wouldn't explain the numbers I see at the robstown show. Maybe they have a secret source. Or they never sell anything.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
oh damn....guess I will only get 8 next year instead of 12.  Will leave me some more money to work on other projects.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm under 8 for this lifetime, so far and only one was bought from the CMP, so I guess I fit their demographics.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was working there part time and buying his 5 a day he was allowed every day he worked
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Still too many allowed a year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The CMP doesn't want to be in the rifle sales business forever.  The money from Garand and carbine sales goes to things like building the Marksmanship Park in Talladega.

Frankly, I don't care if someone walks in and buys a thousand Garands.  All the whiners about sales limits need to get off their asses and buy the rifles they want rather than worry about what other people do with their time and money.

I'm curious what the current agreement with the Army specified and how/why it was negotiated.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
It makes me feel old to say this, but when I got my Garand, you were limited to one per lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It makes me feel old to say this, but when I got my Garand, you were limited to one per lifetime.
View Quote

And it took close to a year to get it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He was working there part time and buying his 5 a day he was allowed every day he worked
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never heard of a 5 per day limit when working.  The CMP always stated that those who worked or volunteered got nothing extra when it comes to rifles.  Also, apparently the original agreement with the military was for 8 per person each year and the CMP changed it to 12, so 8 is what it should have been to start with.  This is from someone on the CMP forums who is attending the GCA meetings.  Apparently this was stated by CMP officials.  This makes sense, but I wasn't in the room to hear it myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top