Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2016 5:51:33 PM EDT
Pretty rare relic of the Cold War. Only 2000 produced with less than 600 imported into the US in the 1980s.

Produced for East Germany's Ministry for State Security (aka Stasi) anti-"terror" units. Given that Stasi was federal spy agency and secret police pretty much run by the KGB, the definition of "anti-terror" was likely very broad!

Neat feature of this sniper rifle is it's hammer forged barrel produced by Steyr which gives it a neat spiral appearance.  

This one is in excellent condition, likely never fielded and fully matching. The original scope box came with the gun which now hold the rather hard to get Zeiss ZF6/s 6x power scope which is an upgrade to the stock ZF4/s 4x power scope.

Trigger is a target set that's fully adjustable.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That is very cool!

Will an unfired round fit out of the ejection port?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
wow that is one hell of a neat Rifle

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll take it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Very Cool. I would love to see how well it shoots.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting scope mount...
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm jelly.

I was just eyeballing this one over the weekend, but I couldn't stomach the price.
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=350_351_353&products_id=43578
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is very cool!

Will an unfired round fit out of the ejection port?
View Quote

Yes, not always gracefully but yes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that is way over priced. i'll guess the market will deiced that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very Cool. I would love to see how well it shoots.
View Quote

I know a guy who has owned several, he said they were all pieces of shit, didnt shoot worth a crap...

YMMV...aside for the coolness factor, apparently kind of worthless...but you shouldnt expect much more from cold war era East German equipment....
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Were they issued with special ammo, or standard infantry ammo?

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know a guy who has owned several, he said they were all pieces of shit, didnt shoot worth a crap...

YMMV...aside for the coolness factor, apparently kind of worthless...but you shouldnt expect much more from cold war era East German equipment....
View Quote

Dont blame the gun for your buddy's inability to shoot.

100 yards, Factory 3 Russian military Ball  *not my shooting*

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL165/1109208/24047991/396050990.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL165/1109208/24047991/396050990.jpg

I am just telling what I am told, and my buddy shoots pretty good...in any case shooting at 100 yards isn't exactly "sniping"...
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Had one. Happily sold it for a profit.

Scope sucks.
Triggers fragile.
Not that accurate.
Cases start sticking after 8-10 rds , Lubing the case necks or using poly/nickel cased ammo helps. Pushing it runs risk of breaking weak extractor.
Mags drop out under almost non existent  recoil, crappy mag design and retention system.

Other than that a neat piece of history.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#15]
IIRC there was a time when they were dirt cheap and ammo was non existant. Early 90s , maybe late 80s? CDNN comes to mind, maybe SOG , had them advertised.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IIRC there was a time when they were dirt cheap and ammo was non existant. Early 90s , maybe late 80s? CDNN comes to mind, maybe SOG , had them advertised.
View Quote

Yup when they were first imported, they came with some RWS ammo but that was it for ammo availability.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am just telling what I am told, and my buddy shoots pretty good...in any case shooting at 100 yards isn't exactly "sniping"...
View Quote

Yes sadly the internet is full of hearsay or what people heard from somebody that know somebody so it's better to just post pictures of groups.  

The SSG82 was designed as short range tactical sniper, thus why it's 5.45x39 caliber.  They would pick a different caliber if it meant to go long range really.

Regardless, that group looks MOA or sub-MOA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup when they were first imported, they came with some RWS ammo but that was it for ammo availability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed - and with RWS or match 5.45, they were known to be quite accurate.

If you feed a match-built M-14 or Remington 700 with .308 Wolf ammo, you probably won't get great accuracy out of it either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
cool rifle...

- AG
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember reading a review in American Rifleman back in the 80s and the author reporting similarly mediocre accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty cool.

I could have a chauchaut, and people would poo poo it because it's not a great mg.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pretty cool.

I could have a chauchaut, and people would poo poo it because it's not a great mg.
View Quote

Hey I said it was cool, just my understanding it's hardly a accurate rifle...

And I think a Chauchaut would be very cool, even though by all accounts it's a world class POS...

In fact, I know where there is one for sale locally...
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And I think a Chauchaut would be very cool, even though by all accounts it's a world class POS...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty cool.

The Mle 1915 CSRG in 8x50R is actually a pretty decent LMG. It's not perfect, but they are pretty reliable; their main failing was the open magazine that let dirt in.

The "Gladiator" in .30-'06 was a disaster, and gives the fairly decent "Chauchat" a bad name.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Mle 1915 CSRG in 8x50R is actually a pretty decent LMG. It's not perfect, but they are pretty reliable; their main failing was the open magazine that let dirt in.

The "Gladiator" in .30-'06 was a disaster, and gives the fairly decent "Chauchat" a bad name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty cool.

Yeah, those mags...what were they thinking?

All things being equal, I'd take a Lewis...
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty cool.

I'd take a Madsen
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty cool.

Here is a great video on the Chauchat from Ian at "Forgotten Weapons"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwP3Dm52Ls

We are getting a little off topic.  But the video is informative.  And everyone should know about Forgotten Weapons.

What strikes me about the Chauchat it its increadibly low rate of fire; you could easily match it with almost any semi auto AR15.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#28]
When I worked at TGI,  we had one. It was a decent shooter with Wolf 5.45. Usually 1.5" at 100m. Sometimes a little over. Only had one mag.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I remember looking at those rifles in the magazines and advertising flyers, and marvelling at how cheap they were for being "Steyr" and "Carl Zeiss" etc. But of course that was when any 5.45x39 was hen's teeth.

Although there were those who rightly pointed out the rifle might (or might not) be "nice" by comblock standards, it was the East German "Zeiss", and the East German "Steyr" that were either just started up and cut from whole cloth after WWII, or built on whatever scraps, workers, and factories were left in the East after the war.
View Quote

I remember the ads as well , They were cheap and ammo was rare . Now you have ammo options .
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I had one,  Sold it to a freind that had to have it!

It shot fine - I had a few hundred rounds of RWS ammo and it shot that the best.  Sad to say, a Savage 223 with an accu trigger would out shoot it - but its definitely cool and interesting.  I liked it a lot for what it was - not because it was a true sniper grade rifle in the modern context - more as a curio of interesting fabrication.  Basically a police target-ish rifle .  It probably did its role just fine - Shooting Berlin wall runners in the back at 100-200 yards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#31]
One came up for sale in this country a while ago. It's the only example I've seen here.

Can't really buy 5.45, plus reloading that calibre is a nuisance with its expensive dies and requirement for many components to be created rather than bought off the shelf. I was ready for another reloading project, but the price on the rifle itself was too great combined with the cost of equipping to load for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top