User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The MAS-36 is an excellent rifle. The bolts on the 60's refurbs with their heavy park jobs can be difficult to work, but once you spend some time wearing the park off, they become pretty damn fast. The rear lugs and the funky bolt handle make for an incredibly short bolt throw, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would happily take a MAS Mle. 36 into action before any other bolt action rifle of the time. Simple, accurate, robust, fast action, quick-to-acquire sights.

The MAS-36 is an excellent rifle. The bolts on the 60's refurbs with their heavy park jobs can be difficult to work, but once you spend some time wearing the park off, they become pretty damn fast. The rear lugs and the funky bolt handle make for an incredibly short bolt throw, too.
This is correct.

An original rifle is quite smooth.

The 7.5 round is as modern as it gets in WWII as well.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Type 44 is too front heavy
View All Quotes

True but you get use to it
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
MAS-36 or Enfield carbine. I prefer earlier Enfield carbine variants, such as the RIC carbine, to the No. 5, but they wouldn't have been terribly common in WW2.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
MAS-36 or Enfield carbine. I prefer earlier Enfield carbine variants, such as the RIC carbine, to the No. 5, but they wouldn't have been terribly common in WW2.
View Quote

That's a bit of an understatement. The LECs were mostly out of service by WWI, much less WWII. The only real LEC variant that would have been kicking around that late would have been the NZ Carbine; New Zealand still had Long Lees and NZ Carbines in service with shore watch units in WWII.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would happily take a MAS Mle. 36 into action before any other bolt action rifle of the time. Simple, accurate, robust, fast action, quick-to-acquire sights.

This is correct.

My Mle. 36/51 was not refinished after service, so the blued bolt is incredibly smooth. The other two Mle. 36's required working the bolt without lube for a bit. Now, they're nice and slick. Same thing for the triggers. The overall length of the rifle makes it very handy, too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
For hunting, the k98k,
For target practice, the 1903a3,
For combat, the No4mkI
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#7]
If we're talking purely a carbine-length rifle, I'd have to say the G 33/40.

If we're talking best rifle, you gotta go with the K-31 because of their accuracy and the fast bolt design.

If you don't think the Swiss count as a participant in WW2, then I'd have to say the Enfield Mk4 because of the aperture sight and 10-round magazine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The SMLE and K31 were both carbines compared to standard lenght rifles, until even shorter rifles were intoduced.....Short (rifle) magazined, Lee Enfield.....not short magazine in a lee enfield...hence carbine.

As for the K31 was a short action reciever that made it carbine lenght like compared to 1911.

Of the two the enfield shoots faster ...one because of the bolt but also because the trigger isn't a long pull two  stage trigger .    

....IMHO

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]
By no means the best, but handy is the Belgian 89/36
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The SMLE and K31 were both carbines compared to standard lenght rifles, until even shorter rifles were intoduced.....Short (rifle) magazined, Lee Enfield.....not short magazine in a lee enfield...hence carbine.

As for the K31 was a short action reciever that made it carbine lenght like compared to 1911.

Of the two the enfield shoots faster ...one because of the bolt but also because the trigger isn't a long pull two  stage trigger .    
....IMHO

View Quote

I would call it the other way. I've watched the old man crank off a mag from a straight pull in a time that a SMLE would be hard pressed to copy. Not having to rotate the bolt adds up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I would call it the other way. I've watched the old man crank off a mag from a straight pull in a time that a SMLE would be hard pressed to copy. Not having to rotate the bolt adds up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

....IMHO

Don't get me wrong the straight pull is fast and slick.....but if you get a finely tuned enfield action it's even if not faster.....I was surprised when I shot both on camera which was faster on target with follow up shots....I believe it's the long 2 stage trigger that was slowing me down...but I will say the striper clips for the Swiss rifles is only bested by the embloc system...they are very fast and the 303 clips suck.....that all said loaded rifle to loaded rifle the enfield is faster.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#12]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMfOXzjhAezodfXQqlzr9D8mAW4T0nc1dGULzc0/

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMfPKtEhwqZg1ey6_rJ_WtEvJaMRnva3kndMpU0/

This was a tad slower because of the trigger staging and also my pumpkins at the 60yrd line were being hit by single and full auto...was a bit distracted.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong the straight pull is fast and slick.....but if you get a finely tuned enfield action it's even if not faster.....I was surprised when I shot both on camera which was faster on target with follow up shots....I believe it's the long 2 stage trigger that was slowing me down...but I will say the striper clips for the Swiss rifles is only bested by the embloc system...they are very fast and the 303 clips suck.....that all said loaded rifle to loaded rifle the enfield is faster.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

....IMHO

Even with the two-stage trigger, one would be hard pressed to not beat a Lee-Enfield with a Swiss rifle. Matching the speed of a Lee-Enifeld is something I can do with a MAS (albeit for only five rounds).
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Even with the two-stage trigger, one would be hard pressed to not beat a Lee-Enfield with a Swiss rifle. Matching the speed of a Lee-Enifeld is something I can do with a MAS (albeit for only five rounds).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

....IMHO

I dont say this often but by the way you worded your above statment your dead wrong....   having shot all the above rifles your statement makes me think you have not.....now in saying that I did shoot a a few bad enfields..one had the bolts nickel plated and bound the action a tad. .and another one had binding on the ejection screw....besides that all 6 of mine are faster then all my swiss rifles (1911-k31)except the 1889...which is foolishly slick quick...and has 12 rounds on tap.

Running the enfield quick takes a short learning curve but as one can see in the videos I listed above ...in just the action manipulation they are near even with a small nod to the enfield.  Now compared to mas I have yet experianced a smooth quick bolt , but that might just be bad luck .

As with anything it comes down to experiances....I think you have yet to shoot a good enfield....and I have yet to shoot a good Mas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmm now I'm tempted to get an Enfield. Which model do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:17:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hmm now I'm tempted to get an Enfield. Which model do you guys recommend?
View Quote
If you have a few rifles that shoot 308 and none that shoot 303brit. ..the get an Indian 2A1 that shoot 7.62 nato.  Otherwise the WW2 models have the best sights...  except for the Australian models that are just remakes of the WW1 models.

Me I prefer the bulldog look of the No1 Mk3 rifles of WW1 .
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For hunting, the k98k,
For target practice, the 1903a3,
For combat, the No4mkI
View Quote

Agree 100%.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Japanese Type 38 Carbine, 6.5x50mm

Light, handy, accurate, great sights, simple to maintain/repair, cartridge is more than adequate, can fit a bayonet(not permanently attached like the Type 44/M44).

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Enfield, MAS 36, and Type 38 are all pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I dont say this often but by the way you worded your above statment your dead wrong....   having shot all the above rifles your statement makes me think you have not.....now in saying that I did shoot a a few bad enfields..one had the bolts nickel plated and bound the action a tad. .and another one had binding on the ejection screw....besides that all 6 of mine are faster then all my swiss rifles (1911-k31)except the 1889...which is foolishly slick quick...and has 12 rounds on tap.  

Running the enfield quick takes a short learning curve but as one can see in the videos I listed above ...in just the action manipulation they are near even with a small nod to the enfield.  Now compared to mas I have yet experianced a smooth quick bolt , but that might just be bad luck .

As with anything it comes down to experiances....I think you have yet to shoot a good enfield....and I have yet to shoot a good Mas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

....IMHO

I've shot plenty of Enfields- none I would rate as anything less than "good"- and my statement still stands.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Finn M39s, only mil surp I have shot thats more accurate than my Swiss rifles, and the Finns did a lot of fighting, for both sides...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hate when people say this.

They most certainly participated.  They did not have widespread fighting.  But they mobilized and did everything but fight large scale actions.

Chile was probably the least participative of all the major countries.

View Quote

True, this-  According to some of the memoirs of SS officers, Switzerland was buying up as much of the gold and currency seized from Jewish prisoners as they could.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why do I feel I've fallen into a liberal newscast, "doesn't fit the narrative so it's not important". Switzerland remained neutral because it was armed, had difficult terrain that made the Germans tanks unusable, and the populace was willing to fight all comers. Ask other small countries that were between Germany and their targeted countries what happened to them. Do you think Germany really cared about Luxembourg or the Netherlands?  If Switzerland hadn't be on a war footing they would have been swept away too.
View Quote

No, more like Germany cowed Switzerland to do its bidding without needing to invade.  Where do you think the 100 tons of gold the Nazis stole wound up?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I have about a hundred war2 bolt guns in my collection, all do the job. some excel at it.  No4Mk1, M1903a3 would top my list.  I tend to prefer allied rifles, axis power not so much.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Traded my Type 44 for a 98K . There is a big jump from first place 98K to the runner up .
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

All things considered, not a truly terrible option. Round performed well enough, accurate enough for Brown Shirt work.
The action is a tad clunky, but it is a modified mauser action so you are good to go. Poor rifle get a wrap that don't deserve really.

ETA: For the sake of my answer, I'm excluding the carbines that were cut down rifles. Due to gain twist riffling, they shoot like shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the Italian Carcano carbines

All things considered, not a truly terrible option. Round performed well enough, accurate enough for Brown Shirt work.
The action is a tad clunky, but it is a modified mauser action so you are good to go. Poor rifle get a wrap that don't deserve really.

ETA: For the sake of my answer, I'm excluding the carbines that were cut down rifles. Due to gain twist riffling, they shoot like shit

It is not a modified Mauser action, it is more of a direct copy of the Gew 88 Commission rifle, using the Mannlicher magazine system, and a split bridge receiver.

While not the most graceful of actions, it was relatively quick. Accuracy could be quite excellent with good bores and proper projectiles (.268 vs .264 of conventional 6.5mm)
It would have benefited more with spitzer projectiles with a higher BC, and better sights/sight picture. The M38 variant had crude sights with all of the carbines and rifles using a
weird sight picture with the front blade buried into the bottom of the 'V' notch rear.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Swiss K-31.  The Swiss had a standing army during the WW2 years & they carried this rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the no5 and mas 36. Still looking for a type 38 to round out my collection.  Then I will know.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No, more like Germany cowed Switzerland to do its bidding without needing to invade.  Where do you think the 100 tons of gold the Nazis stole wound up?
View Quote

This.

Eventually if things went well for the Germans (which wasn't gonna happen), they would have gotten around to unifying the Swiss with the German people. Hitler and the Nazis were not interested in world conquest but they did want to unify the German people.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top