Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2016 1:08:20 PM EDT
I had a question regarding Carl Gustav M96 and M96/38 Swedish Mausers. I own one of each. The M96 is dated 1908, and the M96/38 is dated 1903.

Both are in immaculate condition, especially the M96. The M96/38 has a small amount of wear, but it's hardly noticeable at all. The M96 looks like it just left the factory. This strikes me as odd for 100+ year old military rifles.

The M96 is all numbers matching with the exception of the two barrel bands. All parts on the M96/38 are number matching. Neither of the stocks has any dings or damage on either. I have disassembled the rifles and confirmed that the stocks are number matching to the rifles as well, so they should be the original stocks. All blued parts are dark and evenly finished. The bolts and magazine followers are bright and shiny. Both rifles basically look new and unused.

So my question is this- Did the Swedish military or Carl Gustav refinish or refurbish Swedish mausers? I know that small parts and barrels were changed out by unit armorers, but were any rifles reblued or have the stocks refinished? Or were any completely refinished?

I'm asking because I'm trying to determine if the finish is original or not. I believe that it is, but I'm just not 100% sure. Did Sweden go to the extreme of rebluing metal or refinishing wood on military rifles before storing them?

If needed, I can post some pics of both. But the description I gave is accurate. Both are in phenomenal condition for being over 100 years old.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the Swedes refurbbed rifles...there are ways to tell...

The best place to get info on them is the Swede subforum at www.gunboards.com they really know their stuff there....
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one Swede...I went there to get info on it...beautiful guns, unbelievable craftsmanship....
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the finish above and below the wood line the same?  Usually the finish below the wood line on Swedish Mausers is perfect.  If perfect finish (above and below) and not all matching, then check the bore or stock disk.  If bore not perfect then definitely a refurbished rifle.  FYI, all 96/38 rifles (cut down 96s) are refurbished.  Out of all the surplus Mausers imported, I believe the possibility of getting an unissued Swedish Mauser is the greatest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top