Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 8:02:21 AM EDT
I was at my local Cabelas yesterday and was looking around their gun library, and came across a French MAS 49 chambered in 7.5X54 in the case. It is not a typical rifle to run across, and the handful I've come across over the years were all 49/56 models.

I took it out of the case to examine it and realized it was a French contract 49, not a Syrian! I ended up purchasing it for $499, which I thought was a really good deal. It is numbers matching and in excellent condition. It does not appear to have been fired by the previous owner. There is still what appears to be preservative grease or cosmoline in the barrel, as well as in the action and on the recoil spring.

I had always wanted to purchase a MAS 49 or 49/56 but haven't seen one locally in probably 8 years or more. I wasn't going to let this one pass.

After I got home, I was doing some reading on the French contract MAS 49 and it appears that only a handful were ever imported. I read on several other forums that Century Arms only imported around 265 of these, and sold them all to AIM Surplus. AIM then sold them to the public. Does anybody know if these numbers are correct? If so, that is quite a rare rifle to come across.

I ordered up 200 rounds of Prvi 7.5X54 ammo and look forward to taking it out to the range. I will be sure to strip the rifle down completely and clean all of the cosmoline/preservative grease out of it, especially the firing pin channel. Don't want any slam fires or burst fire going on!

I will get some pics up later today.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Primus just had a thread where he won one on GB... $1100, which was a good deal.... $500, you stole that one...Cabella's done fucked up on that one...

Good score, not a common gun at all....pretty rare in fact...

Can't wait to see pics
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
$500 is a steal for that rifle, as said. They're regularly pulling over $1k any more.

And yes, something less than 300 of them here in the US; an unspecified number survive in France (though how many of those are functional vs. deactivated is a real question), and that's pretty much it for surviving French '49s anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd love to come across one.  Especially for $500!

Pics please!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, here are the pics I just took. I wanted to take them outside in my back yard, but we have people over right now cutting down one of our trees.

It's hard to make out, but it is stamped CAI and Made in France on the scope mounting rail

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I did come across this statement on another board. Mine does not have the grenade launcher on it, so may be pretty rare. Also, this one does not have an arsenal refinish stamp anywhere on the receiver that I can see, the rectangle with a two digit code showing the year that it was refinished.

As you've probably read in older threads here on GB there were less than 300 French 49s reported imported. And out of that batch less than 2 dozen were configured w.o. the GL, making them scarce to say the least. Add the fact that the French gov't decided to destroy all remaining inventories of MAS 49s and you quickly realize that no more are coming to the US (or going anywhere else for that matter).
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Five bills is a steal, even without the grenade launcher assembly. I paid $900 for mine and it was well worth it. Fantastic rifle.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Good score OP!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If you ~$600 floatin' around, the APX L308 3.8x scope is a great buy. Very clear glass and a rugged scope. I've shot mine upwards of 700m. Keep yer eyes peeled for the grenade launching assembly. I've seen them pop up from time to time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top