Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2016 2:07:50 AM EDT
I'm looking for a project gun and was surprised to see that those Turks that were so cheap a few years ago are impossible to find. Did Does anybody still have any gunsmith specials, or is it private market only now?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
About 15 years too late.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You can still get perfectly serviceable Turks off of Gunbroker for ~$200. Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is, but that's not horribly expensive by my book.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking for a receiver to build off of. I saw those Turks on gun broker, but I'm not gonna hack up a complete gun. I was hoping to find a gun missing parts or with a ruined barrel/heavy pitting.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking for a receiver to build off of. I saw those Turks on gun broker, but I'm not gonna hack up a complete gun. I was hoping to find a gun missing parts or with a ruined barrel/heavy pitting.
View Quote

Check shows. I see Mauser barreled receivers all the time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
On a related note, I need a long 8mm Turk or German barrel for a 93 Turk I bought back in the 1980s.

It was originally made in Oberndorf before 1898.

the receiver ring is marked "Ankara 1935"

Strangely, the last 4" of rifling are badly pitted; the rest of the bore is dark, but not as bad.

Anyone know where to find an original barrel for the gun?  I couldn't find anything on GPC or Sarco (or maybe my search skills are just terrible).
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#6]
There are three at my LGS in the $200.00 range and included Turked bayonets/sheaths.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are you in TX?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
BCS
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw a pair of barreled turk receivers on gunboards the other day, not sure if they're still on there!
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless someone knows a retail source to buy a new NOS, or nearly new long 93 Turk barrel, I am just going to try calling around.

I've read that lots of the $50 Turk rifles were sporterized, and the original 8mm barrels removed - no matter how good of a condition they were.  So ideally, gunsmiths might have quite a few of these original, good-condition barrels siting around.

Any ideas as to who might have these?  ER Shaw maybe?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
edit: Billy, I sent you an email with the link I was talking about.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got it, thanks. Does anyone know if those 88 receivers will work with Rhineland's 45acp kit?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Got it, thanks. Does anyone know if those 88 receivers will work with Rhineland's 45acp kit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gew88s? I doubt it; the Gew88 isn't a Mauser. It's more related to the Carcano.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM me. I have a Turk Mauser I'd part with for little $$$.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  Don't mess up a good gun.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the plan. I won't hack a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember buying them for 40 bucks apiece....sold them all, except two..and I just gave one to a nephew......just "death bringer" left now.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I worked at FAC of America I had a bunch of Turks. They are all gone except for my Tweed sporter in 6.5x55.

My cost on them was $18-$25

View Quote

Rub it in......

Haha, I just sent a money order to a friendly arfcommer yesterday. Hopefully I'll be picking up my project soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my Mauser!

Thanks KB7DX
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got my Mauser!

Thanks KB7DX
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I. Sitting on 3...
One looks like 2x4 with a barrel lol ..pipe wrench marks on it etc. Found a letter shoved into the stock disk.

Was kinda cool. Shot awesome.

Other two have nice wood. Other is a 98/22 with the two piece sling swivels..and farsi (?)on the rear sight.

I need to clean them up..and distance shoot them. It's been years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top