Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2016 2:32:54 PM EDT
They seem to pop up from time to time in 300 Savage and 35 REM.

I thought about picking a few up, but I am concerned about part availability for a semi-auto gun that old.

I have talked to a few gunsmiths in the area and none of them seem to have a clue on working on them.

How do you like yours? What do you have? Any constant problems with them?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:09:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I came really close to buying one in .35rem a few years back, but I had the same reservations. In retrospect, they are probably just as durable as the A5 shotguns, so who needs spare parts?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
From my research, and the bit of messing around I've done with mine, they don't seem to present any unique problems.  They're an old-school Browning design manufactured with old-school manufacturing processes.

I noticed a quirk in disassembly (at least with mine) where the bolt doesn't easily release once the barrel is removed.  I haven't yet determined if it's because of an issue with the barrel lock/bolt release (joint mechanism) or if it's a design feature to reduce the likelihood of slamming the bolt into the front of the receiver, but something to keep in mind.

The Model 8 doesn't have a firing pin rebound spring, so can potentially slamfire a round not stripped from the magazine.  Model 81s do have a spring, so this isn't a concern.

Presumably you know they're all takedowns, and also know that they're long-recoil operated so that, when it comes time to disassemble, there's stuff under lots of tension

Numrich has a lot of the parts available, as does Jack First (at least according to my old book).
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
buy one in 35 rem. great rifle
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw one in 300 savage at the LGS for $700, fair price?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Possibly, depending on condition and configuration.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Just picked one up myself in .30 Remington.

Now time to scrounge up some cases and dies
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Saw an 81 locally for $299 in 35 Remington.  Finish is quite poor but not really pitted (barrel has more blue than the receiver).  The back sight has been removed and it is wearing a tang peep sight.  Bore looks very good.  Fore-end wood has been coarsely hand checkered.  The killer, though, is that the left side of the receiver has been drilled and tapped with 4 holes for a side-mount scope (not present).  Butt seems sound.

So is that a fair price for that condition?  I would guess "yes, just about".  But I think I'd rather have a nicer one.  Open to thoughts.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Saw an 81 locally for $299 in 35 Remington.  Finish is quite poor but not really pitted (barrel has more blue than the receiver).  The back sight has been removed and it is wearing a tang peep sight.  Bore looks very good.  Fore-end wood has been coarsely hand checkered.  The killer, though, is that the left side of the receiver has been drilled and tapped with 4 holes for a side-mount scope (not present).  Butt seems sound.

So is that a fair price for that condition?  I would guess "yes, just about".  But I think I'd rather have a nicer one.  Open to thoughts.

Rob
View Quote

If you're inclined, since the finish is already shot, you could plug the holes and reblue.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Overpriced.  $400-500 is more realistic.

Good luck if it doesn't run right.  Numrich is out of almost everything and what they do have left does not drop in without extensive hand-fitting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good luck if it doesn't run right.  Numrich is out of almost everything and what they do have left does not drop in without extensive hand-fitting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip, yeah figured it was $100-$200 overpriced since they're asking $1500 for the SVT40 next to it and $4000 for FNC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the area.  Examples in .300 Savage and .35 Remington go in the $700+ price range here frequently, if they're in good condition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top