Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 11:22:44 PM EDT
I'm kind of interested in picking one up, i have a basic understanding of the gun. What would a decent one be worth? im a big history nut and i don't have one
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
ima-USA probably still has some MKII and MKIV's that are from the Nepal cache. I've got a couple of them. Really fun projects to clean up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
A decent MkIV can be had from IMA for $550-600

A decent shootable generic Mk II or Mk III $700-1000.

Lotsa junk ones out there from Kyber pass Afghan bring backs too thrashed Nepalese ones from IMA.

Untouched MkIV from IMA is one of the better deals the vast majority are in pretty good shape and clean up well. I would highly recommend passing on the IMA untouched MkII's and cleaned ones, IMOP they over do it on the rifles they clean and restore for sale at $$$$$ price.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I would agree that the cleaned up ones are overdone. For the most part the MKIVs are in far better shape, but not all are perfect. I picked all of mine off of the pallets and pallets of rifles. Quite the experience, much like going to a CMP store.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I always love the movie "Zulu".
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be much more interested in buying one if it wasn't for the fact that brass alone is over $6 a round...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd be much more interested in buying one if it wasn't for the fact that brass alone is over $6 a round...
View Quote
It's a nearly 140yr old rifle. You probably will only shoot it a handful of times because if you break a part you will have to remake it by hand. Even the screws were hand cut.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#7]
As said, IMA has Mk. IVs and Mk. IIs for reasonable prices.

The Mk. IVs are pretty much all in fine shape under the glop. They really just need a good cleaning; the wood should be solid and the metal well-protected. You might find some minor surface rust/pitting under the woodline, but it won't affect the function of the rifle at all. Virtually all of them are complete, no missing parts.

The Mk. IIs are a crap-shoot. I'd think hard about ordering one of those sight-unseen. Many of them have badly cracked wrists due to the stock bolt rusting and expanding, you'll probably need a part or two (smashed sling swivel, stripped buttplate screws, missing sight leaf, broken clearing rod that comes out in two pieces, etc), and you'll probably find a couple of areas of wood rot that need attention. The Mk. IIs certainly have more history than the Mk. IVs, but expect a whole other level of work to get these into decent shape.

Here's a before/after of my IMA Mk. II.

As purchased from IMA - this was hand-picked from the racks at the store when you could do it, minimizing missing bits and wood damage:

After extensive cleaning and repair to the wrist:
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A decent MkIV can be had from IMA for $550-600

A decent shootable generic Mk II or Mk III $700-1000.

Lotsa junk ones out there from Kyber pass Afghan bring backs too thrashed Nepalese ones from IMA.

Untouched MkIV from IMA is one of the better deals the vast majority are in pretty good shape and clean up well. I would highly recommend passing on the IMA untouched MkII's and cleaned ones, IMOP they over do it on the rifles they clean and restore for sale at $$$$$ price.
View Quote

I spent a lot of time hunting through the bazaars and Afghan gun shops looking for a decent MH.

The two things I learned are a) the Afghans can make a fake of just about anything, firearms included and b) because non-gun people will pay way to much for them, the 'ghans want way too much $ for them (almost as much as what you cite for a questionable gun).
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a nearly 140yr old rifle. You probably will only shoot it a handful of times because if you break a part you will have to remake it by hand. Even the screws were hand cut.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd still want to shoot it, and ammo being well over $100 for a 20 round box is crazy.

Besides, aren't there newer rifles like Ruger No. 1s in this chambering?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd still want to shoot it, and ammo being well over $100 for a 20 round box is crazy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.577/.450? AFAIK, the last real commercial production of that caliber was a run of Cordite-loaded stuff made by Kynoch in the 1950s. It's readily available, but is unreliable due to degraded primers (hangfire city).
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As said, IMA has Mk. IVs and Mk. IIs for reasonable prices.

The Mk. IVs are pretty much all in fine shape under the glop. They really just need a good cleaning; the wood should be solid and the metal well-protected. You might find some minor surface rust/pitting under the woodline, but it won't affect the function of the rifle at all. Virtually all of them are complete, no missing parts.

The Mk. IIs are a crap-shoot. I'd think hard about ordering one of those sight-unseen. Many of them have badly cracked wrists due to the stock bolt rusting and expanding, you'll probably need a part or two (smashed sling swivel, stripped buttplate screws, missing sight leaf, broken clearing rod that comes out in two pieces, etc), and you'll probably find a couple of areas of wood rot that need attention. The Mk. IIs certainly have more history than the Mk. IVs, but expect a whole other level of work to get these into decent shape.

Here's a before/after of my IMA Mk. II.

As purchased from IMA - this was hand-picked from the racks at the store when you could do it, minimizing missing bits and wood damage:

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/1876LSAMkII_zps46d44f8e.jpg

After extensive cleaning and repair to the wrist:

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/MHMkII_zps38ed8fb6.jpg
View Quote
Such a beautiful rifle

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I also recommend the MKIV from IMA

It is indeed a nice project to clean up and uncovering the history in the stamps on wood and metal is great fun.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's one of my MKIV's and a Snider

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
These videos made me start to dream about looking into one:

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out the British Militaria Forums for LOTS of great info on Martini Henry rifles (and Sniders and others).  Forum

Brass converted from 24 Gauge brass shotgun shells can be had for about $50 per 25.  There's a great guy on the forum above who converts them  He also sells bullet molds that work great for these old guns.  Lee makes dies for about $100.  If you want to get the rifle, you gotta GET INTO the rifle.  : )

No, Ruger does not make a No 1 in 577/450 and never has.

I have one Mk III that I imported from Australia about 15 years ago and one IMA Mk IV that I haven't cleaned up yet.  I also have two Sniders and Martini-Enfield (a MKII M-H converted/re-barreled in .303).

Rob
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
IMA had the Snider on sale one weekend for $450. If that happens again I am getting one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

IMA had the Snider on sale one weekend for $450. If that happens again I am getting one.
View Quote

Just keep in mind they're not real Sniders
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Nepalese made IIRC. Be a good wallhanger next to my MH MKIV.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  I'm still probably going to shoot mine, just with reduced power loads
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
its closed now and i might be heading down that way monday, but does anyone know off hand if atlanta cutlery has them in the store...i see them on the site, but that could be a drop ship deal to
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#21]
They make nice lamps.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

They make nice lamps.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2w3dw87.jpg
View Quote
A creation of your own?  If so details please!  I got some Nepalese made MH I will not shoot so this could be a good alternative use of them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A creation of your own?  If so details please!  I got some Nepalese made MH I will not shoot so this could be a good alternative use of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
They make nice lamps.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2w3dw87.jpg

One of the $150.00 "untouched" ones IMA ran on sale some years ago that I got from a guy for $50.00 because it was a basket case.

Where you see the leather wrap the stock was pretty much gone. It's pretty much J.B Weld, patch wood, and brown paint under there and the pitting was all the way through the barrel so I made me a lamp of it....I swear it looked as if water had dripped in that location for 100+ years.

LOL....The internal parts I had to remove to get the cord through I sold for enough to pay for the donor rifle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Pattern A, B, or C?

Looks like the cleaned versions are all about the same price. I read the text at the bottom of IMA's page but it didn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#26]
i guess the pattern really doesn't matter and i'd rather have an untouched one like in the links, kinda looking to take it apart and clean it up....i just don't want to be replacing a stock or something of the like
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got the best of both worlds...I have a Martini Enfield...started life as a Pre Zulu war Mk II....was converted to a Martini Enfield in the late 1890's IIRC....I'll have to look to verify...

The conversion was to switch to the .303 cartridge, so I can shoot mil surp .303 through it...

Its a cool gun, I actually bought it from Jemtrek in Australia before the anti-gunners screwed him....mailed to me at my office direct from Oz....
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I would love to have a Martini Enfield. The idea of it in .303 British is fun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would love to have a Martini Enfield. The idea of it in .303 British is fun.
View Quote

It's cool, and man, can it throw the cases!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a Martini Cadet once. Someone had plugged the barrel so I had it removed with the intention to replace it with one in .357 magnum or even .357 maximum.

A bit off topic, but this thread made me remember it.

It would've made a fun little plinker!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#31]
well i ended up getting a IMA mk2 1876 BSA...I will say this first

I understand the rifle is 140 years old, but its in pretty bad shape for what the reviews say and what others have said. I probably wouldn't have purchased it knowing the shape its in.

The barrel is badly pitted along the entire length, the cleaning rod has to be frozen inside the stock...it was almost rusted right through and its broken in half...with one part stuck in the stock

ive tried everything from heat, lube, twisting, hitting it on both ends...its stuck, won't even move a 1/16th...the stock itself has several rotted areas. One barrel band is completely useless and frozen, im surprised i was able to get it off.

the positives are that the action works smoothly and it seems by mark all the parts are the same...i got the stock a good bit lighter with murphies oil, warm water and krud kutter...but the fore end is still rather dark, although you can see the wood clearly. Any suggestions on lighting up the wood or is it just stuck that way?

bottom line, i've got a 600$ wall hanger, buyer beware.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Not surprised. That's a converted MK1. We did warn you that te MK2s were gonna be rough. The MK4s are probably the safest bet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Not surprised. That's a converted MK1. We did warn you that te MK2s were gonna be rough. The MK4s are probably the safest bet.
View Quote
ehh is what it is...wanted some history and took the reviews to optimistically...was never gonna be a shooter anyway, as im not a reloader and the ammo is way to expensive
so nothing can be done about the pitting...

anyone on the stuck barrel rod inside the stock?....already tried heat, oil, and force

anyone on lightning up the stock color some more?

and anyone on the stock rot?

really was able to clean it up...it cycles well and the receiver looks well...i think the pitting is the biggest bummer

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Brake fluid.  Sounds nuts, and use rubber gloves, but it will lighten them up some.

Got a pic of the stick part of the rod?  I'm having trouble remembering how they threaded in or whatever

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#36]
ill have to take apart again...but it broke with about 5 inches showing under the forend and it went all the way in the stock to the little threaded end was

out of the opposite end of the forend...

i could put the small part hanging out of the back of the forend, into a vice and twist the forend...1 the rod is bent somehow inside the stock and 2. it has major tension when you try to rotate it

i tried to move the rod around and put some oil down the channel, but the rust is heavy...tried heat and hammering on both ends to try to budge it...but with no success
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#37]
That will clean up... but as I said the Mk. IIs are an involved project.

The pitting on the barrel isn't bad enough to make it unsafe. That will shoot if you want it to.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Acetone will leach out all the oil...just be sure its pure acetone with no additives.....

It will also leach the oil from your skin, so if you have sensitive skin, wear gloves...
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#39]
appreciate the responses, ill try some stuff
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#40]
For a untouched  IMA MkII that is a better than avg one, they are all ROUGH and you atleast got a intact buttstock and decent wood and could have got one in much worse condition.

Never EVER Ever trust a websites customer reviews they are usually always edited to the POSITIVE.

Now order a UT MkIV.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#41]
any places for parts, really looking for a lower barrel band and maybe a few other things that might be beyond saving....ima and atlanta cutlery have nothing and two places in england are crazy expensive compared to anything here
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
any places for parts, really looking for a lower barrel band and maybe a few other things that might be beyond saving....ima and atlanta cutlery have nothing and two places in england are crazy expensive compared to anything here
View Quote

Try calling Sarco. They have a bunch of stuff that's not listed on their site in the warehouse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top