Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 3:59:07 PM EDT
I've been putting this off for a long time. Getting back into C&R stuff now, though, and will definitely save money on transfers. Just not sure I like the idea of my CLEO knowing about it... or the idea of ATF being able to drop in and snoop. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been putting this off for a long time. Getting back into C&R stuff now, though, and will definitely save money on transfers. Just not sure I like the idea of my CLEO knowing about it... or the idea of ATF being able to drop in and snoop. Thoughts?
View Quote

Depends how many items you're going to order and what cost it is at the LGS to do a transfer.  If you're going to buy one C&R, likely the answer is no.  If you're going to mix and match 10x?  Likely the answer is yes.  CLEO won't care, just more paperwork on his desk.  ATF dropping in?  Keep your record like you're supposed to and if by some freak chance they do show up, what's the problem?  Give them some coffee, show them the book, show them the C&R rifles...done.

The fact that pricing on C&R items is going up, up, and away is where you should focus the question of whether it's worth it to you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, man.  ATF's gonna be at your door every day.  Probably make you give them free coffee, and the sheriff will have your house staked out 24x7 as a potential terrorist.

Seriously, most C&R holders will never get an audit; and the ATF cannot just show up at your door and demand to see the premises like they can once a year with an actual business FFL (01/02/07, etc). So your CLEO will know you're a collector - so what?  Even as an NFA manufacturer FFL I only got a compliance inspection once every five years or so - and the ATF devotes a lot more time to policing machinegun manufacturers than they do to harassing collectors.

If it's even marginally useful, a C&R is dead easy and inexpensive, too.  Only if it's not useful to you at all should you not bother.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
ATF cannot just drop in and snoop (well they can but if that comes about you better already have a lawyer because they have a warrant). If they show up unannounced, set up an appointment to meet them at their office with your bound book and undisposed items in the bound book.

Get the license, you'll be poorer for it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
They don't just "drop in". And your CLEO has bigger fish to fry.

(ETA) if you are worried about being on a list you probably already are.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
In the C&R world, condition is everything. That means personal inspection before buying. Buying mail order means buying sight unseen.

As a collector, I would say that a C&R FFL is of marginal utility. I had one once, and eventually dropped it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
03FFL is definitely worth it in my mind, I have only had mine for a year and it has paid for itself several times over just in the Brownells discount alone, not to mention the transfer fees I have saved.  Regardless of milsurp prices in the future I will be renewing mine when it is up, because it is really nice to have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one and it wasn't any trouble at all.

Unfortunately, the C&R market is really dried up in terms of affordable guns.

I did manage to get a cherry, perfect Polish P-64 from AIM, and it was great having it delivered to my front door.

C&R-eligible guns have gone way up in price. Don't know how much more use I'll get out of my 03FFL.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I just sent in my paperwork today.  Like the OP, I have been thinking about it for a while.  But, I had focused on modern rifles for the past couple of years.  I'm getting back into the historical pieces again.  The C&R market has changed quite a bit since I bought my first Mosin (in 2003), but there are still some good deals out there.  I may only get a couple C&R guns a year, but the transfer fee charged by my LGS is $25, so the C&R will pay for itself after one purchase.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's not forget that there are plenty of S&Ws , Colts, Remingtons, etc that are passing the 50 year old mark. More and more each day..
and though they may not be "cheap" , they are affordable on gunbroker and the like.. and having them delivered to your door is VERY sweet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Get your 03, your wallet will hate you. "If" your married you may not be after a year or two
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one.  Not worth the hassle, IMO, if you have a good FFL.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep debating whether I'm going to let mine expire, but just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.

This came from Aim a couple of months ago. It's still nice to get stuff shipped direct.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's not forget that there are plenty of S&Ws , Colts, Remingtons, etc that are passing the 50 year old mark. More and more each day..
and though they may not be "cheap" , they are affordable on gunbroker and the like.. and having them delivered to your door is VERY sweet.
View Quote

If the seller actually knows what an 03 FFL is and is willing to ship to them.  I am finding less and less that actually will. :(
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If the seller actually knows what an 03 FFL is and is willing to ship to them.  I am finding less and less that actually will. :(
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially true for C&R eligible handguns I've found!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top